Not quite President

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
SamBee

Not quite President

Post by SamBee » 07 Mar 2018, 15:19

Riffing off the "big hairy list"... who do you think the most influential people are in church history who never became President of the church?

I'm not including non-members or people before the Restoration.

Some of these people have affected its direction as much if not more than certain official presidents.

Here are my picks:

* M Russell Ballard
* Martin Harris
* Bruce R. McConkie.
* Boyd K. Packer
* Legrand Richards
* Eliza Snow
* James Talmage
* Widtsoe
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Roy

Re: Not quite President

Post by Roy » 07 Mar 2018, 15:34

B.H. Roberts
Truman Madsen
Hugh Nibley
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 07 Mar 2018, 16:48

Roy wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 15:34
B.H. Roberts
Truman Madsen
Hugh Nibley
I find it hard to estimate Nibley's influence. Is it only within certain circles or the whole church? However, his apologetics have indirectly influenced the perception of the BOM among those who have never heard of him. That is a clear point in favor of him being on this list.

In recent times, Boyd K. Packer was frequently quoted by many people, and I wonder if some awaited his rule over the church. I suspect he had more long term influence than Howard W. Hunter for example.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 07 Mar 2018, 19:27

Jesus

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 08 Mar 2018, 04:01

LookingHard wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 19:27
Jesus
He comes under people before the Restoration. 😊

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 08 Mar 2018, 08:38

Neal A. Maxwell
Chieko Okazaki

I have learned a lot from both of them (though Bro. Maxwell tends to be more black/white in thinking then I like a times).

Roy

Post by Roy » 08 Mar 2018, 09:11

Lowell Bennion
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 08 Mar 2018, 11:03

I hope to be able to say Dieter Uchtdorf someday, unless of course he does become president (which is not impossible).
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 08 Mar 2018, 15:02

Emma Smith.

If she had handled polygamy differently (in support of or in opposition to) we might have a very different church.

dande48

Post by dande48 » 08 Mar 2018, 17:39

Roadrunner wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 15:02
If she had handled polygamy differently (in support of or in opposition to) we might have a very different church.
From what I recall, she was VERY opposed. And that very different church is the Community of Christ.
"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy. "
-Albert Campus

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket