Priesthood blessing of healing

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
nibbler

Re: Priesthood blessing of healing

Post by nibbler » 25 Jan 2018, 09:09

I think whether or not someone has the priesthood helps some people have a little more faith or confidence than they otherwise would.

The person giving the blessing may feel more confident because they have the priesthood.
The person receiving the blessing may feel more confident because the person giving them the blessing has the priesthood.

I think the positive energy that can be derived from confidence can be calming, even healing, and that people can develop that level of confidence outside the labels, rules, and formality of the PH.
Sometimes, the thing you've been looking for your whole life is right there beside you all along.
-Peter Quill

Roy

Re: Priesthood blessing of healing

Post by Roy » 25 Jan 2018, 14:10

nibbler wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 09:09
I think whether or not someone has the priesthood helps some people have a little more faith or confidence than they otherwise would.

The person giving the blessing may feel more confident because they have the priesthood.
The person receiving the blessing may feel more confident because the person giving them the blessing has the priesthood.

I think the positive energy that can be derived from confidence can be calming, even healing, and that people can develop that level of confidence outside the labels, rules, and formality of the PH.
I had this discussion recently with DW over a missionary coming home. They are told to report to the SP and follow all mission rules until they do so. The SP does not do any kid of ritual to release you as a missionary. He basically says "thank you for your service" and asks you to remove the badge. Wearing the badge or not does not in itself contain any special properties. What might happen if the returning missionary just took off the badge upon arriving home and neglected to visit the SP?

All of this was a moot point because the family of the returning missionary was very keen on following established tradition to the letter in order to avoid anything inappropriate. Sometimes we, as humans, ask for rules, standards, and norms and then we receive them.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13