Actual Polygamist's perspective on polygamy

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Reuben

Re: Actual Polygamist's perspective on polygamy

Post by Reuben » 30 Oct 2017, 19:11

John Dehlin interviewed her for Mormon Stories back when it was new:

http://www.mormonstories.org/mormon-sto ... e-b-wilde/

I've always been fascinated by people who still practice polygamy. When I was young, I was disgusted, too. Then I learned about Joseph's polygamy and had to work through that, becoming much less disgusted. Now that I don't have to believe it was of God, I'm disgusted again.

One impression I got from John's interview was that Anne was her husband's favorite wife. Of course that would weigh heavily in her sentiments. I wonder if his other wives think as highly of polygamy as she does.
My intro

Love before dogma. Truth before loyalty. Knowledge before certainty.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 30 Oct 2017, 19:31

If this thread becomes a discussion of our views of polygamy, it will do downhill fast. Let's stay away from that and focus solely on the interview.

I think the favorite wife point is a valid concern when evaluating someone's view as a practicing polygamist wife. It would be interesting to hear her take on that question.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Reuben

Post by Reuben » 31 Oct 2017, 02:39

Curt Sunshine wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 19:31
If this thread becomes a discussion of our views of polygamy, it will do downhill fast. Let's stay away from that and focus solely on the interview.
Good catch. Thanks.
My intro

Love before dogma. Truth before loyalty. Knowledge before certainty.

Roy

Post by Roy » 31 Oct 2017, 11:14

I listened to this interview. I felt that she seemed very respectfully as a person that clearly sees herself and us as part of the divine movement of the restoration. She spoke of the scripture that talks about God setting His house in order. I got the impression that she would include all of us (SLC Mormons) as co-inhabitants of God's house.

Assuming that my impression was correct, it would be interesting to ask if she also felt that the Reorganized church, Strangites, temple lot church, and others are part of the house and kingdom of God.

Thank you.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13