Obedience

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Heber13

Re: Obedience

Post by Heber13 » 03 Oct 2017, 11:20

LookingHard wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 11:14
One book I found that really explains some of this is is Jonathan Haidt's "The Righteous Mind: why good people are divided by politics and religion".

This blogpost goes into that a bit The self-righteous mind
what was the gist of it that you got from that?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 03 Oct 2017, 12:36

The book proposed that some people moral foundations are in different proportions. Some people really feel fairness to all is really a big deal and the stability that comes from having some strong guiding authority isn't so much. And others are flip-flopped. Not that some have 100% in one area and none in another, just the proportions are different. So some people (even whole societies) revere individualism more than others and some are more focused on the collective good instead of each individual.

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 03 Oct 2017, 13:43

LookingHard wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 12:36
Not that some have 100% in one area and none in another, just the proportions are different.
That makes sense.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."