Reading of Book of Mormon - Pathways

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
AmyJ

Reading of Book of Mormon - Pathways

Post by AmyJ » 12 Sep 2017, 10:10

I started re-reading the Book of Mormon for Pathways. This reading of the Book of Mormon I am going to focus on how the 2 Great Commandments (Love God and Love Others) are portrayed throughout. I am looking for teachings, and I am looking for how these 2 commandments are filtered throughout.

In reading the first few passages, I realized something (having minimal to do with my current focus) ...

We all have experiences we return to in our mind over and over again where some truth is understood and shapes our decisions, and is a part of defining and re-defining who we are - I think of them as "touchstones". Some recent touchstones in my life have been our reverse trek to Michigan, specific personal answers that I cite as personal revelation for me, that is the general gist of it... Common theoretical universal "touchstones" are missions or marriage (though I cite this example specifying the conversations that refine and redefine the marriage, not necessarily the day of).

The first 7 chapters of 1 Nephi are basically his personal historical "touchstone" experiences. I can also see them more as a legacy for the next generations - the way that talking to your parents and grandparents about what experiences they had is.

LookingHard

Re: Reading of Book of Mormon - Pathways

Post by LookingHard » 12 Sep 2017, 11:17

Hmmm. Interesting. Good luck on your studies.

Roy

Post by Roy » 12 Sep 2017, 14:50

I appreciate the insight. I can certainly get behind Nephi's flight from Jerusalem, journey through the wilderness, and eventual arrival into the promised land as being somewhat metaphorical/legendary/based on a true story to impart the message that he was trying to transmit to his progeny.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

dande48

Post by dande48 » 12 Sep 2017, 20:12

Roy wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 14:50
I can certainly get behind Nephi's flight from Jerusalem, journey through the wilderness, and eventual arrival into the promised land as being somewhat metaphorical/legendary/based on a true story to impart the message that he was trying to transmit to his progeny.
Have any of you heard of Joseph Campbell, and the "Universal Myth"/"The Hero's Journey"? He postulated that all of the timeless tales, from the Greek/Norse myths, to the Greeks, to Christ, and up through Star Wars and Harry Potter all had the same basic story arch, with the same underlying themes. Nephi's story, fits the bill perfectly.

It's definitely worth looking into. Here are a couple of resources worth checking out:
"What makes a hero?" - A 5 minute Ted-Ed explaination of The Hero's Journey
"Finding Joe" - A wonderful documentary on Joseph Campbell and the Universal Myth
"The Hero with a Thousand Faces" by Joseph Campbell (on public domain)
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket