Ward Believe Literal Bible?

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.

What percent of ward members do you think believe in a literal Adam and Eve, and a Global Flood?

0-24%
6%
25-49%
No votes
50-74%
71%
75-100%
24%

Total votes: 17

gospeltangents

Ward Believe Literal Bible?

Post by gospeltangents » 27 Aug 2017, 19:51

Is the only way to do multiple polls to create a new topic every time?
See my latest interviews on Mormon History, Science & Theology at www.gospeltangents.com

Heber13

Re: Ward Believe Literal Bible?

Post by Heber13 » 28 Aug 2017, 12:04

% of total ward members (the list) or % of active church-going members? That impacts the vote, as 50% of the ward is inactive where I live.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

gospeltangents

Post by gospeltangents » 28 Aug 2017, 12:11

Typically you don't know what inactive people believe, only what active people believe. What do the people who come to church believe?
See my latest interviews on Mormon History, Science & Theology at www.gospeltangents.com

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 28 Aug 2017, 17:35

I can't speak for my whole ward, but...

This is one of those topics that I definitely do not believe literally. I figure that everything before Abraham is almost entirely allegorical and that most things between Abraham and Jesus were exaggerated to some extent.

I guessed 50-74%
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Often I hear doubt being presented as the opposite of faith but I think certainty does a better job of filling that role. Doubts can help faith grow, certainty almost always makes faith shrink. --nibbler