Juneteenth

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
SamBee

Juneteenth

Post by SamBee » 19 Jun 2017, 15:28

https://www.britannica.com/spotlight/ju ... of-slavery
Texas felt the full force of the Emancipation Proclamation, which came riding in with a herd of Union troops. Major General Gordon Granger, at the Headquarters District of Texas in Galveston, read the General Orders, No. 3, on June 19th, 1865:

"The people of Texas are informed that, in accordance with a proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of personal rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves, and the connection heretofore existing between them becomes that between employer and hired labor. The freedmen are advised to remain quietly at their present homes and work for wages. They are informed that they will not be allowed to collect at military posts and that they will not be supported in idleness either there or elsewhere."
For many years [Juneteenth] was confined to Texas, as word of the holiday was slow to spread to other states. It wasn’t until the 20th century that Juneteenth really began to make its journey across the United States. After the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr., his followers continued his plans for a Poor People’s Campaign in Washington. The campaign culminated in a “Solidarity Day” rally on June 19th, nearly 100 years since the first Juneteenth celebration. Participants returned home and brought the festivities with them, and Juneteenth became popular in an increasing number of states. Alongside the civil rights movement, the massive migration of African Americans in the 20th century spread numerous aspects of Southern black culture. From 1940 to 1970, more than five million African Americans left Texas and headed north and west in search of jobs, further expanding the celebration of Juneteenth across the nation. Texas declared Juneteenth an official holiday in 1980,
Two years after the LDS Proclamation...
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

DarkJedi

Re: Juneteenth

Post by DarkJedi » 20 Jun 2017, 03:46

I lived in Texas in 1980. I don't recall it as being a big deal and didn't even know it was an "official" holiday.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 20 Jun 2017, 07:38

It isn't a holiday that is a huge deal in Texas. I am not aware of anybody getting the day off. But it is well known in Texas.

amateurparent

Post by amateurparent » 21 Jun 2017, 21:10

Juneteenth is celebrated by all my AA colleagues and friends. My white friends don't know about it. It's a great reason to throw a party.

Reminds me of Pioneer Day .. most of the US has never heard of it. It remains a big deal for people from certain areas abd cultures.
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.