Who was the first woman baptized?

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Joni

Who was the first woman baptized?

Post by Joni » 23 Apr 2017, 05:30

I'm teaching Church History/D&C to nine year olds (and trying to put an unorthodox spin on it -haven't been released yet). We've talked about how the three and eight witnesses were all male, and the first six members of the church were all male, largely due to the overwhelming sexism of 19th century America.

Who was the first woman to be baptized after those six men? I can't find it in the lesson manual (What a surprise) or RSR. I would have thought Emma Smith but she didn't get dunked until July 1830. Was it Lucy Smith? Anyone know?

Roy

Re: Who was the first woman baptized?

Post by Roy » 23 Apr 2017, 16:16

I did a fair amount of googling and could not find the answer.

Perhaps it simply was not recorded. I understand that they did not keep records for baptisms initially unless it was for a special purpose (like meeting the minimum membership number to be considered a legal church).
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

dande48

Post by dande48 » 23 Apr 2017, 18:52

Both Lucy Smith and Sarah Witt Rockwell were baptised on April 6th, 1830, the day the Church was organized. It's anyone's guess who was baptized first, but they were the earliest women.
http://mormonhistoricsites.org/wp-conte ... Platt4.pdf

Before that day, only four others had been baptized; Joseph, Hyrum, Oliver Cowdery, and Samuel Smith.
"Sir, it's quite possible this asteroid is not entirely stable." - C-3PO

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 23 Apr 2017, 20:24

I went to FamilySearch & looked for early members of the church. For example, Emma Hale. Under Ordinances I was hoping it would give a date but instead it says "Not Available". That seems strange to me.

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 24 Apr 2017, 07:03

To me, I think it is probable that Emma was baptized prior to April 6, 1830, but that the baptism was not recorded, or that the record was lost. All who were baptized before April 6 were subsequently rebaptized, so Emma's official date of June doesn't deter me.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 24 Apr 2017, 07:05

I think we need to keep in mind that in the early days, especially before the church was founded, there weren't actually formal records kept. "Behold there shall be a record kept among you" (D&C 21) wasn't given until the day the church was organized. Also, prior to the organization of the church people were baptized only for the remission of sins. Most, if not all, were rebaptized (and confirmed) as members of the church after the organization of the church. It's also apparent that some people were baptized several times, and that baptism was also sometimes performed as a healing ordinance.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 24 Apr 2017, 20:34

Exactly what DJ said.

If people say ordinances are eternally unchanging, baptism and the endowment are clear examples of how wrong they are.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 25 Apr 2017, 13:11

Dande answered it, Lucy or Sarah Rockwell. History of the church says April 6th but an early draft of the same and other witness testimony says the two of them were baptized "a few days later." The next women baptized were wives of the Book of Mormon witnesses that Sunday in Fayette. Emma was baptized in Colesville in June.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

Joni

Post by Joni » 26 Apr 2017, 03:05

On Own Now wrote:
24 Apr 2017, 07:03
To me, I think it is probable that Emma was baptized prior to April 6, 1830, but that the baptism was not recorded, or that the record was lost. All who were baptized before April 6 were subsequently rebaptized, so Emma's official date of June doesn't deter me.
That answers the next question I was going to ask, which is why did it take until July before Emma was baptized.

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 26 Apr 2017, 12:43

Joni wrote:
26 Apr 2017, 03:05

That answers the next question I was going to ask, which is why did it take until June before Emma was baptized.
There may have been a few factors, the most obvious being geography and opportunity. There is no indication that Emma made the long trip with Joseph and Joseph Knight to the Manchester/Fayette area in early April 1830. She was much closer to Colesville and participated in the organization of that branch in June, thus was baptized with those residents. We are also not clear on how the disapproval of her father and family may have affected her eagerness to join the new church (possibly why she wasn't baptized the year before?), but it wouldn't have been a huge deterrent because the first time others in her area were baptized she was with them.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.