In sacrament I'll be giving a talk on obedience

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
DarkJedi

Re: In sacrament I'll be giving a talk on obedience

Post by DarkJedi » 24 Apr 2017, 07:46

SilentDawning wrote:
24 Apr 2017, 07:19
The discussion wasn't in vain; I crafted a talk I could give that has double meaning on obedience -- a topic that I don't like very much at all, and normally would refuse to talk about it. Now I can do it.
Well done, SD. And the topic could certainly be useful to others who may get assigned the topic in the future.

As a side note, SD, (or anyone else) have you ever turned down the "opportunity" to speak based on the subject/topic? I did once but had another viable excuse. I have also worked around the topic before, perhaps briefly mentioning it but giving a talk about what I want to talk about.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 24 Apr 2017, 12:01

DarkJedi wrote:
24 Apr 2017, 07:46
SilentDawning wrote:
24 Apr 2017, 07:19
The discussion wasn't in vain; I crafted a talk I could give that has double meaning on obedience -- a topic that I don't like very much at all, and normally would refuse to talk about it. Now I can do it.
Well done, SD. And the topic could certainly be useful to others who may get assigned the topic in the future.

As a side note, SD, (or anyone else) have you ever turned down the "opportunity" to speak based on the subject/topic? I did once but had another viable excuse. I have also worked around the topic before, perhaps briefly mentioning it but giving a talk about what I want to talk about.
I have never turned down a talk based on topic. I may have asked to alter the topic, but don't remember. I would actually like to speak in church about happiness. Been studying it a lot lately...and with the obedience thread here, it helped me see that when giving a talk, we are quite a bit in the same position of Christ who spoke in parables. He had to be careful about the Romans coming down on him for lack of political correctness, and also spoke in parables so people were ready could hear, and those who were not ready would have something to think about.

I love double speak....being able to speak to both groups at the same time -- the orthodox, and the unorthodox, with both knowing what you mean, but in a way that is personal to them.

That is what true Art is like (music, visual art) -- it contains such interwoven truth that five people can look at its ambiguity and come away with something harmonious and meaningful for their diverse lives and perspectives.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 24 Apr 2017, 13:17

I like the artsy talks too but I've only been able to do it when I took it upon myself to change the subject of the talk I was assigned. I don't think the BPric cares if people do that, I think they're more concerned with finding a person to fill the talk assignment than they are with what topic someone covers... so long as the replacement topic is within reason.

When I was WML I was assigned to give a talk about using the BoM as a conversion tool. I thought about it and thought about it and finally came up with something that I felt was authentic... but that week two new missionaries transferred to our ward so I suggested to leadership that they both give shorter talks in my stead so the ward could be introduced to the new missionaries. It worked, I dodged a talk I was feeling very meh about.

I was also giving talks once every 8 weeks or so, it was a small ward, I'm sure that factored into them taking my suggestion.
I hereby place an order for one cheese pizza. -nibbler