Three or Four Missions of the Church

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
mom3

Re: Three or Four Missions of the Church

Post by mom3 » 12 Apr 2017, 10:09

A couple of years ago I would have agreed about it being too hard on the church and some of the other things we have seen here. However the neighboring Stake to ours proves to me, it could be done. Yes it might be formulaic at first but I have seen them in action with a community homeless shelter and they are full on, get your hands dirty, not-just-an-emergency group. In fact they have called asked if they can do more, and how to do more. They call it "Meaningful Service". They do not donate funds but they make up for it in hands on service, food and supply donation, end of clear up volunteers and more.

I believe it could have a better kick start with not much effort. I am not saying take on a Catholic Charities type role, but setting aside somethings for room for this isn't as hard as it sounds. I think it's a Common Consent problem.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 12 Apr 2017, 18:40

mom3 wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 10:09
A couple of years ago I would have agreed about it being too hard on the church and some of the other things we have seen here. However the neighboring Stake to ours proves to me, it could be done. Yes it might be formulaic at first but I have seen them in action with a community homeless shelter and they are full on, get your hands dirty, not-just-an-emergency group. In fact they have called asked if they can do more, and how to do more. They call it "Meaningful Service". They do not donate funds but they make up for it in hands on service, food and supply donation, end of clear up volunteers and more.

I believe it could have a better kick start with not much effort. I am not saying take on a Catholic Charities type role, but setting aside somethings for room for this isn't as hard as it sounds. I think it's a Common Consent problem.
That is great and a round of applause for the stake rolling up their sleeves and helping out.

I heard of another area attempting to do something along these lines and the word from above was that it was against church policy to sign up for sustained service projects (don't remember the wording). I don't recall reading that in the CHI when I was in the bishopric.

I wish there were more of this type of service.

Willhewonder

Post by Willhewonder » 02 Aug 2017, 17:59

Three things, short and punchy - well, OK, they're useful. Four things is a discussion, a discourse, another 13 Articles of Faith. Too much of that stuff already. Chuck it.