What are the chances the WoW will change soon?

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
dande48

Re: What are the chances the WoW will change soon?

Post by dande48 » 01 Apr 2017, 20:58

They aren't going to come out and say, "We are making changes to the word of wisdom". But I could see them stating that it has been revealed, that certain modifications should be made according to the challenges of our day. We have specifically seen them modify it to include drugs not invented at the time of the original commandment. And there are plenty of health problems caused by modern food trends. Would anyone really be better off eating a basket of KFC, rather than drinking a cup of green tea?

All-in-all, I think the WoW is wonderful. We would all be better off living it, than not. And this is coming from a mild-agnositic, who takes very little from the LDS church literally. Sure, you'll probably be just fine with the occasional cup of wine. But judging by my junk food habbits, I would have a hard time limiting myself. Better not to try...

I also remember it was viewed as the #1 most important commandment by seminary student survey, several years back. Several ticks above the law of chastity. It's something most members are proud of. The church isn't going to change policy, because a few among us "don't like it". If anything, they will add more to the section of recommendations, like the part about "eating meat sparingly", rather than modifying their list of "don't"s.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 02 Apr 2017, 04:19

dande48 wrote:
01 Apr 2017, 20:58
They aren't going to come out and say, "We are making changes to the word of wisdom". But I could see them stating that it has been revealed, that certain modifications should be made according to the challenges of our day. We have specifically seen them modify it to include drugs not invented at the time of the original commandment. And there are plenty of health problems caused by modern food trends. Would anyone really be better off eating a basket of KFC, rather than drinking a cup of green tea?

All-in-all, I think the WoW is wonderful. We would all be better off living it, than not. And this is coming from a mild-agnositic, who takes very little from the LDS church literally. Sure, you'll probably be just fine with the occasional cup of wine. But judging by my junk food habbits, I would have a hard time limiting myself. Better not to try...

I also remember it was viewed as the #1 most important commandment by seminary student survey, several years back. Several ticks above the law of chastity. It's something most members are proud of. The church isn't going to change policy, because a few among us "don't like it". If anything, they will add more to the section of recommendations, like the part about "eating meat sparingly", rather than modifying their list of "don't"s.
Agreed. I think before they start emphasizing the "eating meet sparingly" we will see the church divest of it's huge cattle ranching investments!

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 02 Apr 2017, 07:06

I highly doubt it will get stricter.

Also, there is no way to make a measurable standard for eating meat sparingly that can be applied across the membership.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 02 Apr 2017, 07:22

Ray DeGraw wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 07:06

Also, there is no way to make a measurable standard for eating meat sparingly that can be applied across the membership.
I bet they could come up with an arbitrary rule if they wanted to. "No meat between March and October, and then only on fast Sunday to break a fast." (For the northern hemisphere saints).

If they felt so inclined. Thats about as in line with the revelation as "hot drinks are not for the belly" and the rule they have been enforcing.

But, I agree...i doubt it gets more strict.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 02 Apr 2017, 08:21

Heber13 wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 07:22
Ray DeGraw wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 07:06

I bet they could come up with an arbitrary rule if they wanted to. ...
Total abstinence. Problem solved.
I hereby place an order for one cheese pizza. -nibbler

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 02 Apr 2017, 09:23

I think the most likely changes, if any, would be the addition of "harmful drugs." Many people read that in these as it is. I don't see them budging on tea/coffee (even of the iced variety) nor do I see trying to enforce any meat restrictions (in part to distance ourselves from Catholicism).
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

ydeve

Post by ydeve » 02 Apr 2017, 10:21

DarkJedi wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 09:23
I think the most likely changes, if any, would be the addition of "harmful drugs." Many people read that in these as it is. I don't see them budging on tea/coffee (even of the iced variety) nor do I see trying to enforce any meat restrictions (in part to distance ourselves from Catholicism).
It's taught by missionaries. I think it's even in PMG and the pamphlets they use.

Edit: page 11 of this pamphlet talks about "illegal drugs" and "harmful substances." Preach My Gospel explicitly says "harmful drugs."

DevilsAdvocate

Post by DevilsAdvocate » 03 Apr 2017, 07:26

dande48 wrote:
01 Apr 2017, 20:58
All-in-all, I think the WoW is wonderful. We would all be better off living it, than not. And this is coming from a mild-agnositic, who takes very little from the LDS church literally. Sure, you'll probably be just fine with the occasional cup of wine. But judging by my junk food habbits, I would have a hard time limiting myself. Better not to try...I also remember it was viewed as the #1 most important commandment by seminary student survey, several years back. Several ticks above the law of chastity. It's something most members are proud of. The church isn't going to change policy, because a few among us "don't like it". If anything, they will add more to the section of recommendations, like the part about "eating meat sparingly", rather than modifying their list of "don't"s.
Actually one of the points in this newspaper article was that it looks like younger generations of Mormons are already becoming more tolerant of the idea of not conforming to current LDS teachings in this case. For example, in a poll done by Jana Riess she found that only 40% of millennials thought that not drinking alcohol was essential to being a "good Mormon" compared to 51% for Generation X and more than 75% for baby boomers and the silent generation. I do think that one of the main reasons that the WoW will probably not be changed anytime soon is simply because most of the active members including the top leaders have already accepted it and gotten used to it the way it is.

However, I disagree with the idea that it is only a few people that don't like the WoW; in reality I suspect there are literally millions of Church members that already drink and/or smoke, it's just that most of them are inactive and many of them have almost no chance of returning to Church activity as long as they don't feel ready to give up these habits and feel like not drinking or smoking is a big part of what being LDS is all about. On my mission trying to get people to give up drinking, smoking and/or coffee so they could be baptized was a real hassle and many of them quickly returned to their old habits anyway even after they were baptized.
"Truth is what works." - William James

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 03 Apr 2017, 08:20

ydeve wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 10:21
DarkJedi wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 09:23
It's taught by missionaries. I think it's even in PMG and the pamphlets they use.

Edit: page 11 of this pamphlet talks about "illegal drugs" and "harmful substances." Preach My Gospel explicitly says "harmful drugs."
And we used to teach investigators that caffeinated soda was against the WoW (in the dark ages when I served). The point is, neither of them are in there.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 03 Apr 2017, 09:23

I would love for the Church to change the WoW to the following:

- no tobacco/alcohol in Church
- no getting drunk
- no getting high

And then enforce it mildly, like, we don't smoke in the Church buildings or during Church activities, but we aren't going to keep you from getting baptized if you smoke on your own. Drunkenness/drug use is a bit different for me. Since these involve personality and behavioral changes, I can see keeping these on the no-no side, since religion is a communal experience (in our case and many others), but with a kind approach, rather than line-in-the-sand methods used today.

I think having a beer or a glass of wine is far different from getting drunk, so sure, drink a bit here and there, that's fine. Socialize with your friends/neighbors, but keep it in check.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13