What are the chances the WoW will change soon?

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Roy

Re: What are the chances the WoW will change soon?

Post by Roy »

NightSG wrote: 06 Apr 2017, 08:28 This. And after all the people I'd helped move, I ended up calling in Methodists to move my big furniture, because all the Mormons with trucks (most of the ward, actually, including the women, given that it's an agricultural area of Texas) were suddenly not available any time during the ~9 day period I had to get out of the old place and into the new one. The former bishop did come through at the last minute for one load, but ~150 other pickup owners couldn't find half an hour to let me load their truck, drive 6 miles and let me unload it.
FWIW - help with moving is usually one thing that Mormons are better at than other churches. Of course, how much help is given can vary wildly by location and other factors. Another thing that Mormons are usually strong at is bringing in meals for illness, injury, or a death in the family.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
NightSG

Post by NightSG »

Roy wrote: 06 Apr 2017, 09:56Another thing that Mormons are usually strong at is bringing in meals for illness, injury, or a death in the family.
Clearly you've never seen a Methodist funeral. Often, a widow ends up inviting people over because even the immediate family can't eat all the food that shows up on the doorstep.

(Odd thing; granddad always had a Baptist preacher handle the family's funerals, though he was raised CoC and grandma was Methodist, because he didn't want any "good folks" having to see the same guy every Sunday and be reminded of the funerals. The first few I remember, the Baptist women would bring food, assuming that other churches didn't do that.)
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

NightSG wrote: 07 Apr 2017, 10:21
Roy wrote: 06 Apr 2017, 09:56Another thing that Mormons are usually strong at is bringing in meals for illness, injury, or a death in the family.
Clearly you've never seen a Methodist funeral. Often, a widow ends up inviting people over because even the immediate family can't eat all the food that shows up on the doorstep.

(Odd thing; granddad always had a Baptist preacher handle the family's funerals, though he was raised CoC and grandma was Methodist, because he didn't want any "good folks" having to see the same guy every Sunday and be reminded of the funerals. The first few I remember, the Baptist women would bring food, assuming that other churches didn't do that.)
OK, message received NSG. Some readers could see your comment as saying the LDS church can do no right and all other Protestant churches can do no wrong. Others have had very different experiences than you have and Mormonism and their local wards work very well for them.

[Moderator note: This topic is about the Word of Wisdom. Let's stay on topic and make other threads for other topics as necessary.]
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction