What to do with the Lamanites?

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
SamBee

Re: What to do with the Lamanites?

Post by SamBee » 30 Apr 2017, 14:44

There has been a lot of controversy recently about Middle Eastern DNA having been found amongst Cherokee. Look it up. Some of the sites discussing it are fringe, but there has been a lot of backpeddling and headscratching over it.

This doesn't tie in with Lamanites but it is curious.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 01 May 2017, 09:03

The way I see it the church has two "minds" on the subject:

1) In Sunday school class when referencing the mission to the Lamanites we understand what they meant by Lamanites, and go with the flow - effectively stepping back in time to adopt their understanding.

2) The modern research and direction you refer to.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 01 May 2017, 09:33

Orson, I think as #2 become more solid and established and accepted, the talks in #1 get retrofitted to make it work with well established theories. Don't you think?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 01 May 2017, 12:03

Fwiw, the Book of Mormon itself actually is pretty clear, when you look at the demographic statements analytically, that the Lamanites must have inter-married with indigenous people quite early on (certainly before the Nephites joined the Mulekites and probably significantly before that). The population statements don't make any sense otherwise - and they make perfect sense if that was the case. It also would explain the racial descriptions perfectly.

Who were those indigenous people?

Given the structure of the Jaredite kingship narrative in Ether (focused SOLELY on the kingship families and their capital city/area) that covers thousands of years, the indigenous people would be descendants of Jared's group and other people the Lord led to the promised land.

Where did the Jaredites originate?

Most likely the steppes of Northern Asia, since that society fits well the description of the people of Jared - both before and after their trip to the promised land.

What is the ancestry of the "Laminates" who survived - and continued to intermingle?

Most likely, the dominant ancestry would be Asian - which is exactly what the modern research says.

When you actually analyze the Book of Mormon as a historical record, looking at only the actual words in it and throwing out the assumptions of the author and those who accepted his assumptions, it is interesting how much better the history fits what we now know.

As I have said in other places and threads, I don't know quite how to take the Book of Mormon, since I see it as much more complicated than most people realize. Jewish midrash seems like the best example - and it is a fascinating topic.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 01 May 2017, 14:04

Heber13 wrote:
01 May 2017, 09:33
Orson, I think as #2 become more solid and established and accepted, the talks in #1 get retrofitted to make it work with well established theories. Don't you think?
Not necessarily, maybe this is associated with my willingness to throw literalness out the window.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 05 Jun 2017, 15:23

SamBee wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 14:44
There has been a lot of controversy recently about Middle Eastern DNA having been found amongst Cherokee. Look it up. Some of the sites discussing it are fringe, but there has been a lot of backpeddling and headscratching over it.

This doesn't tie in with Lamanites but it is curious.
Ah I just posted on this, sorry to have another thread going on a similar subject.

I have felt like many of the maps that people have tried to make, to place bom cities and lands into real world or modern day geography are a bit of a stretch. But I've also felt that the bom people could easily be a very small group relatively, hardly related to the American Indians as we know them today.
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." God, according to Futurama

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.