Interview with Kenneth W. Godfrey

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Gerald

Interview with Kenneth W. Godfrey

Post by Gerald » 22 Jan 2017, 07:57

This will be of interest to those REALLY into LDS Church history stuff. I took a class from Kenneth Godfrey many, many years ago. He is (I think he is still alive at this writing) a very nice man. I remember enjoying his class. He also had some very interesting anecdotes to tell with respect to the study of Church history (I particularly enjoy the story of him "sneaking" a copy of a potentially controversial document from out of the LDS Church Archives). He comes from a very faith-based perspective (for those not into that) but that's not really the focus of the interview.

http://mormonhistoricsites.org/wp-conte ... ODFREY.pdf
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---

Ann

Re: Interview with Kenneth W. Godfrey

Post by Ann » 23 Jan 2017, 17:13

Thanks for posting that. I was skimming pretty quickly, but also found this interesting:
http://mormonscholarstestify.org/2593/kenneth-w-godfrey
I liked the first paragraph where he talks about his teachers.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

mom3

Re: Interview with Kenneth W. Godfrey

Post by mom3 » 23 Jan 2017, 22:50

I have two or three notes from his wife Audrey.

I was working on a project that she had presented a paper on, we wrote notes back and forth. She was very generous. She mentioned that they were on Leonard Arrington's staff. This was years before FC. I was impressed. Now I am doubly impressed. They worked in Nauvoo for a while and taught at the Joseph Smith institute. She sent me a book they wrote about polygamy. I think reading it helped me move through the shock that happens for most of us. It was all based on journals and accounts from women of all sides of polygamy.

Thanks for posting this, I will enjoy it tomorrow.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman