Understanding the Fall of Adam & Eve

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Heber13

Re: Understanding the Fall of Adam & Eve

Post by Heber13 » 23 Aug 2016, 11:38

FaithfulSkeptic wrote:Thanks Nibbler and Heber for your responses. I just came across this post on Facebook about Eve being beguiled by Satan to partake of the forbidden fruit. The meaning of "beguiled" is not what we might expect. This fits perfectly with the perspectives already given:

http://www.womeninthescriptures.com/201 ... uiled.html
That is a good read. I like many of those thoughts.

The end says:
I think that too often Eve gets vilified for eating the fruit, or is tagged as being easily duped, when really the truth is that what she did was an act of sheer bravery and faith. Her choice was a conscious, faith filled leap into the unknown, and her struggle in the Garden should not be overlooked.
I agree with this.

But then...the last sentance goes too far for me when the blog post reads:
Her choice made all other choices possible.
What does that even mean? :eh:

If she was so important, and was wise enough to make choices that Adam wasn't courageous enough to make, and was the most faithful to "leap into the unknown"...why doesn't God reward her and make her the prophet with all the priesthoods so Adam is her "helpmeet" since she obviously gets it more than he does?
Why are there not Angelic Relief Society Presidents visiting her and giving her signs and tokens?

Again...I go back to...because as dande48 wrote:
dande48 wrote: It is a story by allegory, to convey gospel truths.
...but it is being told by guys to convey the gospel truths they have in mind to tell in a story...not all gospel truths...and not from the perspective of women. Which is a bummer, and is a detriment to better understanding gospel truths, and in too many cases is used to justify non-truth by too literal of interpretations or applications of the story.

Even still, we can draw some good teachings from some things about the story...as long as we don't take it too far and miss the mark.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Ann

Re: Understanding the Fall of Adam & Eve

Post by Ann » 24 Jan 2017, 09:13

I just came upon a few things that make sense to me. I have a terrible memory and won't be able to recite many details, sorry in advance.

The idea that the Genesis stories are reworkings of existing creation myths. But this God is all-powerful, loving, provides for his/their children and is concerned about their progress and behavior. So...in the Genesis stories the Tree of Life, which exists in other myths and focuses humans on a sort of quixotic quest for immortality, is off to the side. It's there, but what's important is the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. The idea is that this God is concerned more with mortality and morality. And "good and evil" is a literary device in these languages and times, a way to say, "everything." It's more "A-Z" than good and evil per se.

The idea that Adam and Eve were not separated for Eve's conversation with the serpent. That there's a missing preposition in most translations from the Hebrew that leaves out Adam's presence for the whole transaction.

I think they said that the serpent is in no way a representative of Satan in the Pentateuch. That was added later, or something? It was considered a symbol of wisdom because it regularly sheds its skin.

The last thing is escaping me. Gotta love middle age.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11