Perfection vs. Love, the final battle

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
AmyJ

Re: Perfection vs. Love, the final battle

Post by AmyJ » 08 Feb 2018, 14:36

Curt Sunshine wrote:
27 Aug 2009, 18:00
Ultimately, we believe that we will be judged according to our obedience to our own consciences - and our attempts to change our natural (wo)man into the image of our ideal, GOD.

It's finding the balance between those two ideals that is fascinating and difficult for me - letting the second ideal guide my attempts to understand and live according to the first ideal. The central struggle, imo, might be not letting the first ideal overshadow the second - not allowing our perception of what we are inclined to do to take priority over what we MUST do to learn and grow and stretch.
I like this. It could be that if life = you piloting an airplane that the 2 ideals are left and right of you, and use those ideals to course correct and chart your course.

AmyJ

Re: Perfection vs. Love, the final battle

Post by AmyJ » 08 Feb 2018, 14:57

swimordie wrote:
02 Sep 2009, 19:54
How does the "striving for perfection" get in the way of loving? Or, maybe better said: why does "striving for perfection" get in the way of loving?
1. I think that "striving for perfection" changes the target away from "loving God" and "loving others".
2. I think that "striving for perfection" gets in the way of loving others because it introduces an external value that others will judge and be judged by. As we all know, it is very easy to be judged (and judge on) on a WoW call, attire, parenting decision, career choice, journal-writing, temple attending - any checkbox we want to create. And some of those judgements are accurate judgements to make regarding security and other consequences. However, at times, I think we make these judgements instead of asking ourselves honestly a) have we showed others we love them today in a way they understood, b) did we show love to ourselves today by balancing our commitments with our resources and passions, and c) Did we act on a prompting that resonated within us as if it was from God?