Same sex marriage considered apostasy

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
nibbler

Re: Same sex marriage considered apostasy

Post by nibbler » 16 Nov 2015, 07:31

richalger wrote:Eight years old is generally old enough to make the commitment of baptism.
It really depends on how one defines what we are committing ourselves to when we are baptized. I've heard people make statements like:

When you got baptized you agreed to __________.

Where the blank is filled with something that is wholly inappropriate for an 8 year old to be promising.

Eight can be old enough to make the commitment of baptism, so long as the commitment made is limited by the individual's understanding and not extended to include other people's interpretations of the commitment.
If one dream dies, dream another dream. If you get knocked down, get back up and go again.
― Joel Osteen

DarkJedi

Re: Same sex marriage considered apostasy

Post by DarkJedi » 16 Nov 2015, 07:54

nibbler wrote:
richalger wrote:Eight years old is generally old enough to make the commitment of baptism.
It really depends on how one defines what we are committing ourselves to when we are baptized. I've heard people make statements like:

When you got baptized you agreed to __________.

Where the blank is filled with something that is wholly inappropriate for an 8 year old to be promising.

Eight can be old enough to make the commitment of baptism, so long as the commitment made is limited by the individual's understanding and not extended to include other people's interpretations of the commitment.
I agree, Nibbler. For instance, I do think an 8-year-old is capable of deciding he or she wants to follow Christ. I also think they have the right to change their minds later in life (perhaps not all that much later) without repercussion. I have long had trouble with the LDS teachings about what we commit to at baptism, not only because it really is not spelled out anywhere (I don't buy that this is what the sacrament prayers are referencing) but also because it's not clearly explained to anyone, child or convert. Things may have changed, but when I was baptized in 1981 all that I knew about baptism was I would be forgiven of my sins, would become a member of the church, and it had to be done by immersion. I'm not at all sure 8-year-olds are capable of making the lifelong commitment decision often tied to baptism.

In the context of this discussion, I don't think most 8-year-olds know if they are gay or not, nor do I think they are capable of the kind of rational thought processes to be able to disavow gay marriage (which I recognize is an argument for the policy). Perhaps there needs to be a consideration on whether 8 really is an appropriate age for baptism.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction