Nibley and Jacob 2:19

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Tom Haws

Nibley and Jacob 2:19

Post by Tom Haws »

Does anybody know whether Nibley ever addressed the problematic message of Jacob 2:19 that seems to impress the LDS psyche with the idea that the righteous will seek riches to do good?
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Re: Nibley and Jacob 2:19

Post by Old-Timer »

Welcome back. :D

No, I am not aware of anything from Nibley, but it wouldn't surprise me if he wrote about it in "Approaching Zion".

Also, that verse is problematic only if it is ripped totally out of context and only a portion of the verse is read. As a whole, it actually is part of a blistering condemnation that applies just as well today as then.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken