Flashback to Proposition 8

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Gerald

Flashback to Proposition 8

Post by Gerald »

The recent Supreme Court decision had me reflecting on some the past events involving gay issues and the LDS Church. And then, this morning, my wife was watching the 1998 interview between Larry King and Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley. As I watched, I flashed back to the Hinckley years and remembered how much I liked listening to Pres. Hinckley. He always seemed kind, calm, and confident. A kind of "grandfather" figure to everyone. Now I mean no disrespect to Pres. Monson, but Pres. Hinckley's speaking style and approach always resonated positively with me. I then noticed that he died in January of 2008. That same year began the campaign for California's Proposition 8 that the Church got involved with (the vote taking place in November of that year). History would seem to indicate that the Proposition 8 fight did not do much to help LDS Church. Not only was that law overturned (and now irrevocably), but the Church received some bad publicity for its involvement (albeit indirect) in the campaign (though one could argue that the backlash within and without of the Church forced the leaders to soften their stance on homosexuality.) I hadn't made the connection that these two events (Hinckley's death and the Proposition 8 vote) had occurred in the same year. I wonder now if Pres. Hinckley would have handled it differently. Was the decision to actively oppose the California law the result of an inexperienced new leadership? Or would the outcome have been the same (I believe Pres. Hinckley was at least the "de facto" president during some of the early anti-gay marriage campaigns that were successful)? Would things have been different if the LDS Church (regardless of who as leading it) had stayed out of these campaigns?
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---
mom3

Re: Flashback to Proposition 8

Post by mom3 »

Every once in a while a leader shows up that takes everyone's breath away. I have been told David O Mckay was such a man, that the press enjoyed a good relationship with him and LDS energy was at a high point. I see Gordon B. Hinckley the same. I think he knew the high tide wouldn't last forever, he was pragmatic on those things. I believe he even mentioned it in a General Conference address. He was good with people. PR was second nature to him. It's not President Monson's style. He is the quiet neighbor who tends his roses, and secretly rakes your leaves while you are away. Both men's skills are kingdom builders.

I don't believe President Hinckley would have taken the church through Prop 8. The church had taken a stance on SSM, it is part of why (I believe) the Family Proclamation was written. He was never for fighting against, he was more for redirecting. I have long believed it was PR department that brought about Prop. 8. Yes I know members of Q15 have their vocal opinions on it, but I don't think they were in sync enough for it to be a full leadership deal. Unwisely PR didn't look at the impending situation wisely and whether by advisement or lack of wisdom on their part a massive error took place. Part of my belief stems from the fact that my state had SSM on the state ballot far earlier than Prop. 8, yes local leadership took a stance and supported their request through previous leadership quotes, but the church did not, as an organization, jump in. It didn't pass in my state the first time, it didn't get on the ballot again until 2012. The church side stepped it and didn't join the coalition of churches who were opposing it.

Part of me feels bad that Prop 8 lands on President Monson's watch. I think it undermined his message, style, and some very important gospel principles that he espouses and could have helped everyone, in and out of the church. It's a tough piece of history to swallow.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman
nibbler

Post by nibbler »

The Family A Proclamation to the World ends on a call to action:
We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.
I know I operated under the influence of that sentence for a while. It was a matter of time before someone connected the dots between strengthening the family and fighting SSM and incorporated that into their religious zeal.
I kept a diary right after I was born. Day 1: Tired from the move. Day 2: Everyone thinks I'm an idiot.
— Steven Wright
Gerald

Post by Gerald »

Every once in a while a leader shows up that takes everyone's breath away. I have been told David O Mckay was such a man, that the press enjoyed a good relationship with him and LDS energy was at a high point. I see Gordon B. Hinckley the same. I think he knew the high tide wouldn't last forever, he was pragmatic on those things. I believe he even mentioned it in a General Conference address. He was good with people. PR was second nature to him. It's not President Monson's style. He is the quiet neighbor who tends his roses, and secretly rakes your leaves while you are away. Both men's skills are kingdom builders.
I think this is a great description of the differences between the two men. I did wonder why California became the focal point of the Church's opposition to SSM (as opposed to other states and issues). Or how California became the focal point as far as the public could observe. It does seem indicative of some PR decisions.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---
SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning »

You don't get massive movement without the support of higher-ups, so I think Monson probably had something significant to do with it.

Also, Hinckley was a PR man, definitely. I believe he had a history in radio.

In the beginning of his office, he did a number of things to get the church in the public eye -- there was more than one interview with him on TV, for example. I think he also learned that putting the church in the public eye with open slate interviews is simply another opportunity for the world to learn about blacks and the priesthood, the role of women in the church, and plural marriage. It's best if we lay low and let people know nothing about us until the missionaries come to the door. This is looking at it from the naked, single-minded perspective of a church wanting to be as favorable as possible, on average, in the eyes of potential new members. Not from the perspective of what I think is fair -- letting people know the full backstory before they commit their retirement funds over the course of their lives in tithing...
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

"The wise man has the power" -- adapted from What A Fool Believes -- The Doobie Brothers
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

SilentDawning wrote:Also, Hinckley was a PR man, definitely. I believe he had a history in radio.
Hinckley not only started the church's PR department, he was the PR department for some years. I think he was good for the church because he did at least appear to be more open and willing to talk about things. It was he who made the first intimations at apologizing for the MMM and he who first brought some of the more damaging details to light (albeit under great pressure). Monson definitely doesn't have the same outgoing personality or as calm a demeanor, and he is perhaps a bit more old school. Christofferson seems to be the guy who is willing to banter with the media these days, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

I do think Monson had more to do with the Prop 8 business than Hinckley would have. I have also wondered about why California as opposed to other states. The only conclusion I have reached is that California has a relatively high LDS population (as compared to similar population states) and they were approaching the matter by referendum. The public had no say in the matter in my state, the state legislature did it - it's easier (and probably less expensive) to lobby the general public than it is to lobby a legislature where it was a foregone conclusion.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
LookingHard

Post by LookingHard »

Pres Hinckley was great in front of the press and seemed to almost like it - even some of the hard questions.

My personal guessing was that it was probably a lot to do with Boyd K Packard becoming the Pres Q12. I still remember him in his infamous "little factories" talk mentioned, "don't fall for this [homosexual acts] no matter how tempting they may be." A 12 year old me couldn't figure out that statement and it wasn't until decades later that the statement made me ask, "does he struggle with these thoughts?" Most Hetero guys I know say they have never had such urges. Just makes me wonder.

It is interesting that in other state propositions (including New York) that came afterwards, the church was not asking members for time and $.

I do hear that Prop 8 stance and actions requested has been a major issue in many folks either leaving the faith or having a faith crisis. I would love to read a recap of the fallout that upper church leaders may have had created.
mom3

Post by mom3 »

Where I am uncertain about Monson is his amount of drive for it. I think, he may have been a bit bulldozed by it. Either that, or he had no imagination for how the process would carry out. I don't picture him being a super driving force on it. He rarely speaks of political things, he rarely references people's sins (whatever they are), he has never been a real hell-fire and brimstone kind of guy.

I know the first presidency signed the letters and initatives that got Prop 8 rolling. But I don't think he saw what was heading down the pike. In 2008 he was a man who just stepped into a role no man ever really wants, in the months prior he lost his two best friends(President Hinckley and Elder Faust) and their wives, his own wife was beginning to decline. That's a lot to deal with. I really imagine a meeting or two where he probably assumed that it would be a letter, an encouragement to support the church's stand, but from there it left his hands. All the phone banking, the signs, the everything else I don't see coming from him.
I do hear that Prop 8 stance and actions requested has been a major issue in many folks either leaving the faith or having a faith crisis. I would love to read a recap of the fallout that upper church leaders may have had created.
I think that is a key reason we didn't hear any more. They lost in ways they didn't expect. They divided their own flock. That was not the goal.

On a leadership note, I personally heard Elder Uchtdorf praise the people of Cal-ee-forn-ee-a (very Arnold Schwarzenegger - the German sound) for their efforts. It's my one ding in my Uchtdorf image.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman
nibbler

Post by nibbler »

mom3 wrote:
I think that is a key reason we didn't hear any more. They lost in ways they didn't expect. They divided their own flock. That was not the goal.
I think souring the general public against the church was more of a factor. I kept my political leanings to myself (in those days ;)) and I ended up losing a few friends because I was guilty by association. I bet missionary work in CA became super, super difficult as a result of the church's involvement in prop 8.

I believe the church's growing negative public image and the impact it had on missionary work was why we never saw a repeat.
I kept a diary right after I was born. Day 1: Tired from the move. Day 2: Everyone thinks I'm an idiot.
— Steven Wright
Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner »

LookingHard wrote:My personal guessing was that it was probably a lot to do with Boyd K Packard becoming the Pres Q12. I still remember him in his infamous "little factories" talk mentioned, "don't fall for this [homosexual acts] no matter how tempting they may be."
LH, I was thinking about BKP as I read this thread also. You may be onto something.

My dad's "talk" about where babies come from consisted of him giving me BKP's pamphlet with the talk about little factories. Dad told me to read it and ask him if I have any questions. Very ineffective parenting technique. I remember reading it and not understanding little factories and "physical mischief." The plain talk wasn't easily understood until much later.

It would be interesting to know some of the life experiences of the Q15 and how they got where they are.