Flashback to Proposition 8

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Roy

Re: Flashback to Proposition 8

Post by Roy »

Sheldon wrote:Attending church each Sunday (yes, I’m active!), I hear that we have a Prophet that can “guide us in these Latter Days” I hear that he does this because he can see in the future (Google the word seer). So every time I then see a quote like “I don't think he saw what was heading down the pike” I gets me going. I know our prophet cannot see in the future, and I think he would be the first to tell you that. But how do we get all the other leaders to stop perpetuating that ideal?
Yes, I think the title of "President" or "CEO" or even "first Elder" could be more accurrate without all the other baggage that might be associated with the term of prophet, seer, and revelator.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow »

Roy wrote:Yes, I think the title of "President" or "CEO" or even "first Elder" could be more accurrate without all the other baggage that might be associated with the term of prophet, seer, and revelator.
I agree. I wish the church would just refer to the head of the church as the president of the church, rather than the prophet. I would find it much easier to listen to the advice of a president, than listening to a prophet who might be speaking for God, or just offering his opinion, or whatever else. But, then we wouldn't be able to say that God is still speaking to us through his prophets, I guess. :roll:
My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6139
FaithfulSkeptic

Post by FaithfulSkeptic »

Holy Cow wrote:
Roy wrote:Yes, I think the title of "President" or "CEO" or even "first Elder" could be more accurrate without all the other baggage that might be associated with the term of prophet, seer, and revelator.
I agree. I wish the church would just refer to the head of the church as the president of the church, rather than the prophet. I would find it much easier to listen to the advice of a president, than listening to a prophet who might be speaking for God, or just offering his opinion, or whatever else. But, then we wouldn't be able to say that God is still speaking to us through his prophets, I guess. :roll:
I agree! But then we would have to change the words of the primary song to "follow the president, follow the president, follow the president, he knows the way"!

[emoji1]
I know of no sign on the doors of our meetinghouses that says, “Your testimony must be this tall to enter.” Dieter F. Uchtdorf, October 2014
hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl »

I think I’ve finally figured out what bothers me most. If the prophet says “X”, them almost all active members (present company excepted) will say that “X” is the Lord’s will, because the Prophet speaks for the Lord. This concept that the prophet speaks for the Lord is perpetuated by our leaders, both local and GAs. So when the Prophet said to back the Prop 8 campaign, for the general membership, this was marching orders from the Lord himself. When the Prophet says only two earrings for women, that is what the Lord wants, not the cultural learning of a man born 80 something years ago.
Well, people are dumb. That's an easy one.
Cadence

Post by Cadence »

I think it is very common for individuals to make decisions or implement policy that at the time seems sound and correct. It is only with hindsight that we see more clearly.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Cadence wrote:I think it is very common for individuals to make decisions or implement policy that at the time seems sound and correct. It is only with hindsight that we see more clearly.
Reminds me of the theme from the Goldbergs TV show:
I'm twisted up inside, but nonetheless I feel the need to stay
I don't know the future, but the past keeps getting clearer every day.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson »

Agreeing with Hawk, too many people just don't want to think for themselves or develop their own ideas. Too much work? Not enough self confidence?

FS, I have long thought that song should be changed to "follow the spirit" or even the idea of following the prophet's example in following the spirit in our lives.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Orson wrote:FS, I have long thought that song should be changed to "follow the spirit."
I might like it better, even though I have trouble understanding the Spirit.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
FaithfulSkeptic

Post by FaithfulSkeptic »

Follow the spirit - I like it! It'll never happen though.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
I know of no sign on the doors of our meetinghouses that says, “Your testimony must be this tall to enter.” Dieter F. Uchtdorf, October 2014