Mother in Heaven -- a tricky pseudo doctrine thing...

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Rob4Hope

Mother in Heaven -- a tricky pseudo doctrine thing...

Post by Rob4Hope »

With all this Kate Kelly stuff and LGBT and so forth, and the Van Allen's deal with section 132,...I have been a little more hyper-sensitive to the "Mother in Heaven" (MIH) thing.

For a long time, I felt LDS teachings were in many ways, basically misogynistic, both in doctrine and practice/policy. After listening to the Van Allens with regards to section 132, I see no reason to change that perspective in many respects.

I recently heard a pod-cast from a BYU professor who, during her graduate degree program, took a feminist issues course or something. Their topic of discussion during a particular assignment was "Mother in Heaven". This BYU lady found during her research (so she claims) what she believes is the source of why we don't talk about MIH that much.

Have any of you been taught that the reason we don't talk about MIH is because she is so precious and sacred to FIH that He doesn't want anything said about Her? He protects Her, and out of reverence for Her, there is nothing hardly written or revealed about Her?

OK, here is where it gets fun. This BYU lady said the source of that "doctrine" (pseudo doctrine?) was a footnote that appeared in like a seminary/institute lesson manual or something. (There is a chance I might be able to find out more about that, and put in a reference for the claim). But this lady believes that this WAS the source of that, and because there was so little about the teachings of MIH in the first place, the idea caught on like wild fire, spread out like crazy, and has become a type of doctrinal approach to the whole topic.

Making sense so far?

OK...I am putting this out there. Anyone know more about this whole topic?
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Re: Mother in Heaven -- a tricky pseudo doctrine thing...

Post by Old-Timer »

There is no clear revelation within our scriptural canon, although there is lots of Old Testament stuff about the divine feminine, so it all relies on statements by modern church leaders over the years.

It is concept that resonates :smile: with a lot of members, including me, so it has become generally accepted. I love it, even though I dislike a lot of the peripheral explanations and justifications that have grown around it. (like the too sacred nonsense or the never ending pregnancy silliness)

Why isn't it in our scriptures? It was defeated in the Old Testament time period by those who espoused a male-focused monotheism - since one God, to them, meant one personage - and because of the sexuality involved in the goddess worship of that time. Add that to the exclusive male authorship of the scriptures, and I see a giant "as far as it is translated (or transmitted) correctly" issue.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

This really isn't a cop out. In our last high council meeting we had a discussion about helping those in faith crisis. One of the major points was to focus on core gospel principles. Things like April 6 being the birthdate of Jesus and speculation about the pre and post earth life were specifically mentioned. From my point of view, Heavenly Mother fits the things to avoid focusing on.

I do believe there is a divine feminine, a feminine God and I have heard speculation like you mention as well as other speculations (like that she is the Holy Ghost). But it is indeed all speculation and supposition and we are better off focusing our efforts on that which we have much more information about.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
On Own Now

Post by On Own Now »

A good thread from last year about this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5583

Here's what I said about it then:
On Own Now wrote:There was some sidebar discussion on this topic back in January.

The first reference to Heavenly Mother in LDS literature was in the poem "My Father in Heaven", by Eliza R Snow. It was written in October, 1845 and published a month later in the Church's Times and Seasons. The poem was written almost a year and a half after the death of JS. This poem was later put to music and re-titled "Oh My Father".

There isn't any reference to a teaching by JS that there is a Heavenly Mother, so best we can tell, ERS postulated the existence of a HM by sheer logic:
In the heav'ns are parents single?
No, the thought makes reason stare.
Truth is reason; truth eternal
Tells me I've a mother there.
The only thing we can say for sure is that it's a natural extension from JS's teachings of both sealing for time and eternity and of eternal progression.

Today, there remains no clear doctrine from scripture or revelation. However the Church has recently asserted as de facto doctrine, the concept of "heavenly parents". In all honesty, I believe the Church is overstepping to declare this as doctrine without a specific accepted-by-vote revelation or declaration, but hey, that's another story. Besides, if such a doctrine were presented to the general membership, it would be unanimously accepted, so OK. Doctrine or no, it is clearly a teaching of the Church.

The Family: A Proclamation to the World states,
Each [person] is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents.
A recent essay, entitled "Becoming Like God", published on lds.org, https://www.lds.org/topics/becoming-like-god?lang=eng, reiterated the concept, though in slightly guarded terms:
Latter-day Saints have also been moved by the knowledge that their divine parentage includes a Heavenly Mother as well as a Heavenly Father. Expressing that truth, Eliza R. Snow asked, “In the heav’ns are parents single?” and answered with a resounding no: “Truth eternal / Tells me I’ve a mother there.” That knowledge plays an important role in Latter-day Saint belief.
Dallin H Oaks said in GC in April, 1995,
Our theology begins with heavenly parents. Our highest aspiration is to be like them.
But with all that in mind, let me reiterate what I said back in our own discussions in January:
On Own Now wrote:In strict LDS theology, there is not a clear concept of Heavenly Mother. It's more like circumstantial evidence... there must be one, or some.

The reality is that although "God" is central to Judeo-Christian religion, we don't know that much about Him either. We are taught that He has a body of flesh and bone, that He was once as we are, and that He is our spiritual parent. If we assume a Heavenly Mother, then we know exactly those same things about Her. Things that we know about God that we don't know about Heavenly Mother: He listens to our prayers, He set forth the Plan of Salvation, He directed the creation, He appeared to JS... and we know His name. That's an awfully small canon of information about the being that we worship and in whom we put our trust.

Yet LDS theology isn't focused on God (or Mrs. God), but on US. That's one of the most important elements of our Church, IMO. This is all about US, not about God.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -
hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl »

Here's more about what Ray mentioned about God the Mother being deliberately erased from the Hebrew record:
http://www.wheatandtares.org/10529/the-plan-of-asherah/

and another: http://news.discovery.com/history/relig ... 110318.htm
Ann

Post by Ann »

This is one of the head-scratchers for me. How did a beautiful idea - and for me it rings completely true - like Mother in Heaven get resurrected by a people living the insidious Law of Sarah?

I think one reason the church doesn't "go there" much anymore is that it lives too close to polygamy and no one wants to unpack that mess. (Is our Mother an equal, valued partner and creator with our Father, or Wife #32 assigned to planet Earth?)
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11
hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl »

OK, here is where it gets fun. This BYU lady said the source of that "doctrine" (pseudo doctrine?) was a footnote that appeared in like a seminary/institute lesson manual or something. (There is a chance I might be able to find out more about that, and put in a reference for the claim). But this lady believes that this WAS the source of that, and because there was so little about the teachings of MIH in the first place, the idea caught on like wild fire, spread out like crazy, and has become a type of doctrinal approach to the whole topic.
I'm not clear on this. Is the BYU lady saying that the source, the footnote, is just someone's speculation? If so, yes, I think she's 100% right. The truth is, whenever we come up against an uncomfortable doctrine, mental gymnastics leads to speculation, leads to folklore, leads to de facto doctrine. This is how it happens every time.

The idea that God is a benevolent sexist, one who thinks Heavenly Mother is fragile and in need of protection from her own children, is a mighty convenient way to look at it, particularly convenient since it's how benevolent sexism works in recent contemporary western society: women are placed on a pedestal and protected from anything unpleasant because they can't handle it and stay pure and sweet. That doesn't make this thinking eternal. On the contrary, it points to its transitory, temporary, cultural nature. It also assumes that Heavenly Mother is a whole different type of creature from Heavenly Father, not an equal, not even really a God in any real sense. She's fragile and can't handle the tough stuff. I don't know a lot of women who are actually like that, but I do unfortunately know plenty of men, particularly from older generations, who think women are like that.
Ann

Post by Ann »

DarkJedi wrote:This really isn't a cop out. In our last high council meeting we had a discussion about helping those in faith crisis. One of the major points was to focus on core gospel principles. Things like April 6 being the birthdate of Jesus and speculation about the pre and post earth life were specifically mentioned. From my point of view, Heavenly Mother fits the things to avoid focusing on.

I do believe there is a divine feminine, a feminine God and I have heard speculation like you mention as well as other speculations (like that she is the Holy Ghost). But it is indeed all speculation and supposition and we are better off focusing our efforts on that which we have much more information about.
I used to just say, "Oh, please, spare me," when I would hear terribly earnest, usually young-ish women say things like, "Where's my Mother? I want to speak with her." That was back when I believed all kinds of damaging things about a woman's place in the gospel, but I didn't recognize that my acceptance of all that was fueling my dissmissiveness of those women. (DJ - I'm not saying you're doing that. :-) )

What if according Heavenly Mother a real live identity is going to be our way out and forward through a lot of our current problems? To just say that our hands are tied because she's not in the scriptures is a very un-LDS thing, isn't it? We're chock full of things that aren't in the scriptures.

I'm not one of those young, terribly earnest Mormon feminists who occasionally gets yanked from a podium for praying to Father and Mother in Heaven, but the church has less influence on my life and thinking the longer it is uninterested in a concept that now really speaks to me. That's just natural, I guess.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

I think they're more worried with her being confused with this personally.

DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
Shawn

Post by Shawn »

On Own Now wrote:The first reference to Heavenly Mother in LDS literature was in the poem "My Father in Heaven", by Eliza R Snow. It was written in October, 1845 and published a month later in the Church's Times and Seasons.
W. W. Phelps composed a hymn titled "A Voice from the Prophet 'Come to Me'" in 1844. It contains the words:
Come to me; here's the myst'ry that man hath not seen;
Here's our Father in heaven, and Mother, the Queen
See History of the Church, Volume 7, Chapter 26.