Taking the Sacrament with Your Right Hand

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Re: Taking the Sacrament with Your Right Hand

Post by Old-Timer »

There was a man in the temple today who is missing his right hand. He did all of the necessary things with his left hand, as did the officiator for him.

If it is okay for the temple, it is okay for the sacrament.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

While I agree with you Ray, the more orthodox will see the man in the temple as something he has to do out of necessity. When I was in the army, those who had disabled (or no) right arms were permitted to salute with their left - there was no other way. I think the more (or perhaps more judgmental) orthodox see taking the sacrament with the left hand by choice as inappropriate/offensive while they would have no problem with the one armed doing so.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

I know, DJ - but I don't care. :D

I like that our Bishopric says that all who can support (or any who oppose) an action may show it by raising their hand - NOT "by raise of the right hand".
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Old-Timer wrote:I know, DJ - but I don't care. :D

I like that our Bishopric says that all who can support (or any who oppose) an action may show it by raising their hand - NOT "by raise of the right hand".
I've noticed that happening here, too, and I like it. "Please signify" works for me!
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
LookingHard

Post by LookingHard »

DarkJedi wrote:

I've noticed that happening here, too, and I like it. "Please signify" works for me!
That is what the current handbook of instructions says. It does not mention the right hand. I have heard that the US culture of raising the right hand (think court of law, swearing in public officials) come from Masonry.
nibbler

Post by nibbler »

That's why I always raise my left hand for sustainings.

Sinister, childish imp that I am. :angel:
I kept a diary right after I was born. Day 1: Tired from the move. Day 2: Everyone thinks I'm an idiot.
— Steven Wright
LookingHard

Post by LookingHard »

nibbler wrote:

That's why I always raise my left hand for sustainings.

Sinister, childish imp that I am. :angel:
Me too - on both counts: raising my left hand and being sinister and childish!
AmyJ

Post by AmyJ »

Question:

What do you tell a 7 year old female left-handed child about taking the sacrament? I am also left-handed and busy trying to honor the sacrament so I never notice which hand she uses. But my DH is the hand police, and it has caused issues and completely ruined the spirit of the sacrament for both DD and myself.

And how do I advise DH there might be a better way here?

Thanks!
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

Have him read the handbook. It is available online. The is NOTHING in it about which hand to use, so there is NO policy about it. Period.

Any other way might just become an argument.

gospeltangents

Post by gospeltangents »

I use whichever hand is convenient, and it is often the left hand. Nobody has ever said anything to me.
See my latest interviews on Mormon History, Science & Theology at www.gospeltangents.com