A Thread For Talks and Lessons

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Minyan Man

Re: A Thread For Talks and Lessons

Post by Minyan Man »

I wish I could be in your ward tomorrow to hear your talk.
mom3

Post by mom3 »

I am confused, isn't today Fast Sunday. Ray has a talk today and so does Reuben? Did I miss something?
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman
Reuben

Post by Reuben »

Whoops! So this is where the talks and lessons go...

Finding the Gospel of Hope:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7966

The stake bumped our F&TM to next week for reasons unknown, but it may have something to do with New Year's Day.
My intro

Love before dogma. Truth before loyalty. Knowledge before certainty.
Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man »

mom3 wrote:I am confused, isn't today Fast Sunday. Ray has a talk today and so does Reuben? Did I miss something?
Our Stake made Jan 8th Fast Sunday. Our Ward said no & made today Fast Sunday.
I'm sure they got approval to do that.
LookingHard

Post by LookingHard »

Our stake also moved f&t to next week
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

I'm sure it is for the same reason as elsewhere, but our Stake Presidency didn't want people to have to deal with fasting on New Year's Eve.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

It's actually in the handbook that fast Sunday is supposed to be moved when New Year's Day is Sunday but it is admittedly hard to find and is under the New Year's Eve section.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

/back to the purpose of the thread :D
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Sheldon

Post by Sheldon »

There are some interesting thoughts on lesson #2 over at By Common Consent
I especial like their take on “Adoption Theology”, where we only become sons and daughter of God when we “believe” (D&C 34: 1-4). This is contrary to what the LDS church now teaches that everybody is a “literal” child of God. The article gives several other examples of “Adoption” in the D&C, and backs it up with Joseph Smith’s own words in the King Follett Sermon
“God never did have the power to create the spirit of man at all.”
So JS believed God did not create us, and we could be adopted as his children if we believe. Now how do I work that in a comment during the lesson this Sunday?
On Own Now

Post by On Own Now »

Sheldon wrote:There are some interesting thoughts on lesson #2 over at By Common Consent
I especial like their take on “Adoption Theology”, where we only become sons and daughter of God when we “believe” (D&C 34: 1-4). This is contrary to what the LDS church now teaches that everybody is a “literal” child of God. The article gives several other examples of “Adoption” in the D&C, and backs it up with Joseph Smith’s own words in the King Follett Sermon
“God never did have the power to create the spirit of man at all.”
So JS believed God did not create us, and we could be adopted as his children if we believe. Now how do I work that in a comment during the lesson this Sunday?
Glad you brought this up, Sheldon. It's an interesting quandary. Being literal children of God is a sort of linchpin of LDS Theology, which teaches us that we have undeniable natural value and potential. Yet, in another way, it's much more powerful to think of BECOMING. For me personally, the doctrine of us all being God's Children means that are all falling very short. But the doctrine of BECOMING God's Children means that our best is in front of us if we work at it. In the NT, Paul taught that we can become the children of God and join the Family of Christ, that Christ was the firstborn of a large family, and he didn't mean literally. Jesus is even credited with saying, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the Children of God."

In Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, BRM, distinguished between being Children of God (all) and Children of Christ (those who follow Him).
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -