I Believe in Heaven

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Shawn

I Believe in Heaven

Post by Shawn » 19 Jan 2015, 11:56

I believe in heaven, and that's a big deal for me right now. If there is any justice in the universe, something good awaited the firefighters who died on 9/11. This is a bit cheesy, but the song Believe by Yellowcard is powerful to me.
Think about the love inside the strength of heart
Think about the heroes saving life in the dark
Climbing higher through the fire, time was running out
Never knowing you weren't going to be coming down alive
But you still came back for me
You were strong and you believed…

Think about the chance I never had to say
Thank you for giving up your life that day
Never fearing, only hearing voices calling out
Let it all go, the life that you know, just to bring it down alive
And you still came back for me
You were strong and you believed
I can also believe in heaven when I think about my mom because there is simply no other option for her.

Heber13
Site Admin

Re: I Believe in Heaven

Post by Heber13 » 19 Jan 2015, 11:58

I believe in heaven too, Shawn.

I don't think we really know anything about it. But I like the different stories others use to take a stab at the dark on what it might be like.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

mom3

Post by mom3 » 19 Jan 2015, 12:58

Me, too. I get why others don't, but to have lived with and lost just hurts too much. I want a heaven.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 19 Jan 2015, 17:20

I also want a heaven, so I choose to believe in it.

I also want a heaven on Earth, so I choose to try to create it within my own sphere of influence.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Eternity4me

Post by Eternity4me » 20 Jan 2015, 15:57

Ah, heaven is defnitely for real:) There is great comfort in the near death experiences that people share. I have mentioned before that when my husband died I spent a great deal of time reading about them. They offer so much comfort to those who are left behind. I have found some on YouTube also, and they are fascinating stories. With so many with similar experiences, I believe heaven is real. And the thing I take away from them all is that God really is love.

Ann

Post by Ann » 20 Jan 2015, 18:31

Shawn wrote: I can also believe in heaven when I think about my mom because there is simply no other option for her.
That's a beautiful way of looking at it - that it exists because of the people we know and love.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 22 Jan 2015, 15:43

I hope for one as well, i believe and hope. what exactly it is I don't know, but I've always felt it, there has to be something there. Heaven would be a place, much like life, all of the good things and none of the bad.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 23 Jan 2015, 09:50

LDS_Scoutmaster wrote:I hope for one as well, i believe and hope. what exactly it is I don't know, but I've always felt it, there has to be something there. Heaven would be a place, much like life, all of the good things and none of the bad.
Do you think we can expect to have good in heaven without any bad? Must there be opposition in all things, that we need the bad to know the good...or does that just apply to our mortal existence do you think?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

metalrain

Post by metalrain » 28 Feb 2015, 03:37

Heber13 wrote:
LDS_Scoutmaster wrote:I hope for one as well, i believe and hope. what exactly it is I don't know, but I've always felt it, there has to be something there. Heaven would be a place, much like life, all of the good things and none of the bad.
Do you think we can expect to have good in heaven without any bad? Must there be opposition in all things, that we need the bad to know the good...or does that just apply to our mortal existence do you think?
I honestly think eternity isn't going to be easy: if you have forever, not getting bored won't be easy. That's the way I see it at least.

I hope there is a heaven. I hope there is a rest from the life, and disabilities I've accrued. I hope God is as merciful as I expect him to be, especially if I'm wrong about some of the things I think and doubt. If there is anything I want right now, it's for God to reach out to me and communicate something.

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 02 Mar 2015, 09:59

metalrain wrote:If there is anything I want right now, it's for God to reach out to me and communicate something.
I know the feeling. I sense your sincerity and faith.

It doesn't seem easy at times. Why would it be so different after this life? Perhaps there is a veil of forgetfulness over us now creating a laboratory for learning. But I would assume we'll keep progressing and learning, perhaps with the rest of some of life's challenges, but perhaps not total rest it is boring.