3 year old Mormon

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Khadijah

3 year old Mormon

Post by Khadijah » 25 Dec 2014, 22:58

It has been rough staying Mormon but I am still here. Had some things to work out.

So, I have happened upon information that indicates that the BoM history happened in the vicinity of the Great Lakes. I've also got Native American relatives, and relatives from 1860's American South that were Mormon. I'd really like to talk and be taught by someone who knows about this. I am also interested in Hapilogroup X2.

If there are people here who just want to tear at the Mormon church, don't start on me, I'll just leave.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: 3 year old Mormon

Post by Curt Sunshine » 30 Dec 2014, 16:11

There are some pretty good discussions about various geography possibilities at FAIRMormon - and Mormon Heretic did some really good write-ups about different models on his blog. (http://mormonheretic.org/) I recommend his site highly.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

rachael

Post by rachael » 09 Jan 2015, 00:00

I don't think any one person has the answers but its probably best if you keep to researching it yourself and search for different puzzle pieces by examinig theories written by others, archeological/anthropology findings (both mainstream AND unorthodox), books by enthusiastic amateurs that have taken upon themselves to research BoM evidences, etc., and put those pieces together to make a picture that is beautiful and inspiring to you. However don't cling to that picture too tightly, for as another member has the quote "we see through glass darkly" in their signature, it is true.

Sometimes when our vision is obscured, we have to feel our way and use our other senses besides pure logic/intellect. In the natural world things are observable, can be tested for validity and reliability, but trying to fit these pieces to the more puzzling pieces of the things of God requires the use of our other senses that do not respect the rules of 100% logic.

You've must of had a profound spiritual experience from reading the BoM? There is no reason to not cling to that just because it may not be accepted as logical and verifiable to others. That is personal and your individual experience and you don't need to prove it to anyone. It is YOUR gift to share or not. And if you share it and others discount it, that doesn't lessen its intrinsic value.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 09 Jan 2015, 05:43

Khadijah wrote:If there are people here who just want to tear at the Mormon church, don't start on me, I'll just leave.
There is no one here who tear at the church. It's not our way.

I'm glad you asked this question. There's a member of my ward who is very into the Great Lakes area as the setting for the Book of Mormon, with Niagara being the "narrow neck." My personal perspective is that it doesn't matter (to me), but that doesn't mean it's not fun and interesting to think about sometimes. I have read the FAIR stuff before. I look forward to seeing what other resources are out there (besides the books that I won't pay for).
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

rachael

Post by rachael » 09 Jan 2015, 14:04

I tried the links on mormonheretic's blog about the plains Indians article but says "not found". I did find other good stuff. Perhaps its my ph?

rachael

Post by rachael » 11 Jan 2015, 02:14

I enjoyed the book called "life and travels of Mormon and Moroni" by Jerry Ainsworth. Also Hugh Nibley wrote a book called "An Approach to the Book of Mormon" and you can read it here:
http://publications.maxwellinstitute.by ... d-studies/

The Ainsworth book has a meso-american approach. I have some books that are not LDS related that explore unconventional history and have diary excerpts that claim that some native American tribes were fair and light haired but now extinct. If you are interested I will dig I'm my storage shed

rachael

Post by rachael » 14 Jan 2015, 00:46

Another link for you but this one favors a North American setting for the BoM and touches on the DNA issue

http://puremormonism.blogspot.com/2011/ ... n.html?m=1

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 16 Jan 2015, 00:23

Have you read the church's article on DNA?

https://www.lds.org/topics/book-of-morm ... s?lang=eng