What are your beliefs about the First Vision?

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
mom3

Re: What are your beliefs about the First Vision?

Post by mom3 » 08 Feb 2015, 16:24

Ray wrote - If by "our church" you mean "lots of members", I can't disagree.
Yes, thank you for grabbing those words and clarifying, I did mean members. I agree that over many documents, talks, and articles are written to invite us to be more inclusive.
Dark Jedi wrote -
One of the things I find interesting is that despite the growth of the church some old - and possibly incorrect - ideas are very hard to overcome and are held onto by a core of the membership.
I agree with this. I think it's age old repetitions and dated history. Time will be the best answer to putting these behind us.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman