The end of faith promoting rumors?

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
dash1730

The end of faith promoting rumors?

Post by dash1730 » 22 Oct 2014, 18:35

Buried innocuously in an article about the scholarly essays on LDS.org is the following statement:
The church's relatively new curriculum for teens is online only, and much of it is drawn from links to content on Gospel Topics pages. The church is preparing a new adult curriculum that similarly will be online-oriented and draw on Gospel Topics content.
---Deseret News, Wednesday, Oct. 22 2014
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... riage.html
Also https://www.lds.org/topics?lang=eng#media= shows two Q70's, presumably, talking about the same thing.

While they don't say as much, It sounds to me like they are talking as if this may be for the 2015 adult curriculum. They say the curriculum will be on the internet so it can be updated as needed. If not, why would two people identified as the responsible GA's be talking openly and officially this early?

Is this the answer to our hopes and prayers that I think it is? Do we dare hope?
I may not walk the straight and narrow, but I try to cross it as often as I can.
---J Golden Kimball

DarkJedi

Re: The end of faith promoting rumors?

Post by DarkJedi » 22 Oct 2014, 19:35

We can hope, but I don't think it will stop anything on fast Sunday.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 23 Oct 2014, 11:37

dash1730 wrote:Do we dare hope?
Cautiously.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 23 Oct 2014, 13:22

They've already announced the 2015 curriculum.

http://www.lds.org/manual/2015

If there are changes to the adult curriculum they don't appear to be happening next year.

Also, we're currently on the OT in the SS rotation. That means:
2015: NT
2016: BoM
2017: D&C/History

SO... 2017 before any of the essay material could conceivably be introduced into SS topics? Quite a ways away, who knows what could happen between now and then.
Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.
― Jesus

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 23 Oct 2014, 17:44

I think there still is too much to write to have it be part of the curriculum next year. I might be wrong about that, but it's my gut feeling.

I like, very much, that the essays are being linked in the curriculum.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 24 Oct 2014, 05:33

The church better look at its own materials ->
The Gift of Interpretation of Tongues (D&C 46:25)

This gift is sometimes given to us when we do not understand a language and we need to receive an important message from God. For example, President David O. McKay had a great desire to speak to the Saints in New Zealand without an interpreter. He told them that he hoped that the Lord would bless them that they could understand him. He spoke in English. His message lasted about 40 minutes. As he spoke, he could tell by the expression on many of their faces and the tears in their eyes that they were receiving his message. (See Answers to Gospel Questions, 2:30–31.)
https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-princ ... t?lang=eng

This bizarre passage continues to appear in lessons for investigators and presumably in NZ too. New Zealand is an English speaking country, in fact, it has a higher percentage of native English speakers than many parts of the USA.

Presumably this is a reference to the Maori (native New Zealanders), the majority of whom spoke English back then. (A minority of them actually speak their own language these days)... or to Pacific Islanders who went there. If the second instance is the case, then that should be better explained - even so, Samoa, Tonga and Fiji all speak excellent English (although as a second language,)
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 24 Oct 2014, 09:04

Good point Sam...and you didn't even need an interpreter to make your point! ;)
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 24 Oct 2014, 11:34

Yes sorry Heber, went into GP the other day - this came up. A regular annoyance.

NZ must be in in top twenty English speaking countries by first language. (If you're going by second language, India is bigger than US or UK combined for English speaking pop.)

Canada isn't even that English speaking compared to NZ, or South Africa.

In fact President MacKay would be more likely to have had trouble understanding Scots relatives than NZers!

I consider this story an FPR promoted in print. Anyone who knows the basic facts would find the way it's told strange.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 24 Oct 2014, 12:03

I'm so glad you shared this Sam. As a missionary in NZ in the mid 80s (where DOM and Matthew Cowley were folk heroes) I always wondered how effective I was being. I'm so glad I now know I had the gift of tongues so as to be understood - I can now sleep well! ;) :think:
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 16 Oct 2020, 05:43

Sorry folks, I haven't been round for months. I'm still here despite the efforts of this year to break our spirits on every level...

I discovered Holy Fetch today, which deals with FPRs. I'm going to submit the McKay story to them. It reads really badly to anyone who knows New Zealand (I've had a big hankering to go back there recently... It's over twenty years since I last went. It's gorgeous although the towns themselves are boring.). That manual isn't in use anymore, but that story will have been repeated to millions of people at some point or another - basically anyone who got or read that manual.

I think we are better at not repeating FPRs, but GAs don't help when they repeat stories about people who aren't named, in locations we don't know.

http://holyfetch.com/
DarkJedi wrote:
24 Oct 2014, 12:03
I'm so glad you shared this Sam. As a missionary in NZ in the mid 80s (where DOM and Matthew Cowley were folk heroes) I always wondered how effective I was being. I'm so glad I now know I had the gift of tongues so as to be understood - I can now sleep well! ;) :think:
See, you had it too! Box of bees, mate!