Only one path to God

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
West

Re: Only one path to God

Post by West » 11 Nov 2014, 23:19

It's interesting to me how our metaphors typically include nature to convey deep meaning (oceans, mountains, light, seeds, tempests, etc.)

Perhaps a bit if irony that we gather indoors for three hours on a Sunday to discuss the outdoors so much.
I've never really thought of that before, but it's very true, at least in my experience. My favorite metaphors, the ones that I remember, relate to nature, and I heard them used in church all through growing up. Perhaps we relate to nature better because it's not man-made, and therefore as close to a physical manifestation of God's power as we can get without actually seeing God or some sort of miracle.

Or maybe it's just built within us to find nature really cool and relatable.
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein

And God said 'Love Your Enemy,' and I obeyed him and loved myself. -Kahlil Gibran

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 17 Nov 2014, 10:17

West wrote:Perhaps we relate to nature better because it's not man-made, and therefore as close to a physical manifestation of God's power as we can get without actually seeing God or some sort of miracle.

I think so. I have hiked to the top of a mountain and enjoyed the view and took pictures. There is a difference between looking at the picture and the experience of seeing the view with my own eyes. Experience is part of it.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

cwald

Post by cwald » 18 Jan 2015, 23:09

Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 22 Jan 2015, 21:46

Heber13 wrote:
West wrote:Perhaps we relate to nature better because it's not man-made, and therefore as close to a physical manifestation of God's power as we can get without actually seeing God or some sort of miracle.

I think so. I have hiked to the top of a mountain and enjoyed the view and took pictures. There is a difference between looking at the picture and the experience of seeing the view with my own eyes. Experience is part of it.
Totally agreed to both sentiments, as a nature lover, it makes sense, as a photographer- trying to capture the essence is the toughest part of capturing.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

Levi714

Post by Levi714 » 04 Feb 2015, 20:52

I believe there is only one Way to God. Their are many ways to destruction but only one Way to God.

1Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 2In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. 4And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know. 5Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way? 6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. 7If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
- St John 14 1-7 King James Version

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 25 Jan 2018, 11:42

West wrote:
09 Nov 2014, 22:58
Concerning the lighthouse metaphor -- I really love the thought that all boats are different, all maps may not be correct, and all paths may not be safe even though they are going in the right direction.
About the lighthouse analogy - what if the "map" is a rough incomplete outline designed to give us the general idea of what to look for, and some general information about what to do if your boat ends up in un-chartered (un-mapped) territory?

NOTE: Freaking out and standing still for a while is only useful in the short term before the wise captain goes back to what is known, radios fellow captains for general information/guidelines and gets back to re-charting their course.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 28 Jan 2018, 18:32

Amy, take a look at the following post. I think you will like it.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3098&hilit=imagine+if
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken