Signs of the Times- 2nd Coming

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
DarkJedi

Re: Signs of the Times- 2nd Coming

Post by DarkJedi » 06 Aug 2014, 14:39

Love it cwald. Worth putting on useful quote of the day.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Aug 2014, 16:25

Fabulous quote, cwald. Thanks for sharing it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 06 Aug 2014, 17:37

No one really knows when or if it will happen. Gerald Lund, in his book "The Coming of the Lord" describes a
GA back in the late 1800's or early 1900's who said that the second coming was at hand, and that some of the people in the room would live to see it.

Foolish, really, to predict it. I also find it hard to believe that non-believers will be held accountable for not believing in the second coming either. Short of a first-hand vision, I think it's very very hard to know if the Savior lives, if all that we hear in Mormonism is true. Emotions and spiritual feelings can come and go, and its not always clear what they mean.

I think it's an attractive notion because revelations talks about the final wars, because speakers think it motivates people to try harder, etcetera.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 07 Aug 2014, 04:12

cwald wrote:“Our Earth is degenerate in these later days; there are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end; bribery and corruption are common; children no longer obey their parents; every man wants to write a book and the end of the world is evidently approaching.”

~An Assyrian clay tablet dating to 2800 B.C.
Haha. Love it. As I was reading it I thought to myself: well you could have said that a thousand years ago... then I got to the "punchline."
It’s strange. When I couldn’t find the drop and the plague came, you seemed so far away I would not ever be able to find you again. But I know now that you were here all along, and that nothing, not the Black Death nor seven hundred years, nor death nor things to come nor any other creature could ever separate me from your caring and concern. It was with me every minute.
― Connie Willis , Doomsday Book

Forgotten_Charity

Signs of the Times- 2nd Coming

Post by Forgotten_Charity » 07 Aug 2014, 05:45

Ya, fear for obedience. But hey the house alarm industry sells alarm with the same tactics. Generally used to try to bring a desired behavior by an authority figure marketing through sales behavior.
Mainstream news media to shape behavior to generate ratings for y2K etc.

Younger generation apathy for the 2nd coming? That's because they grew up and connected commercials like this..."the more you know ...do...do....do" Imagewith the boy that cried wolf. Asking just how many times can wolf be cried before ....? Learning about many past generations crying wolf, generating fear. But they don't get angry over it generally. Just shake their head and move on. Quite a mature response considering the fear and anxiety or hate of previous generations over this.

Here is a vet short list of some of the latest attempts for fun.
Last edited by Forgotten_Charity on 07 Aug 2014, 06:20, edited 1 time in total.

Forgotten_Charity

Post by Forgotten_Charity » 07 Aug 2014, 05:48

Ray DeGraw wrote:
Sometimes I wish the signs of the second coming were flowers in people's hair, a decrease in violent crime, an increase in charity, etc. so people would comb the news looking for positive things to validate their faith.

:thumbup:
Image I like this a lot. I have always thought that hey, if we're going to use confirmation bias to look for things generally we should look for positive things with it at least.

Cadence

Post by Cadence » 12 Aug 2014, 20:29

My beef with the second coming rhetoric is it gives people an excuse to do nothing. No point in addressing the big problems because Jesus is coming to fix everything. Problem is he is not coming. It is best we acknowledge that move on and start fixing things for ourselves.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon » 14 Aug 2014, 12:45

Ray DeGraw wrote:NOT to turn this into a scientific debate of any kind[/b] (seriously, I do NOT want comments about right or wrong to ensue about this), but just look at the global warming / climate change rhetoric: It is every bit as apocalyptic as Second Coming warnings, and those who frame it the most extremely generally aren't doing so from a religious foundation.
The reason Global Warming has not been jumped on by the “2nd Coming is soon” crowd at church is because it is a left wing idea (fact), not espoused by the conservative leanings of most church members. If you flip the equation, the church would be all over Global Warming as a Sign of the Times.

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 24 Aug 2014, 05:51

As a teenager in the 80's, I remember "signs of the times" being discussed in church and seminary quite frequently. This, of course, was during the Cold War period and there was no doubt in my young mind that the final conflict would be between the U.S. (bastion of righteousness) and the Soviet Union (bastion of wickedness). And it terrified me. Now, of course, the Soviet Union has been gone for more than twenty years. I think it has become harder to see those "signs" without some big readily identifiable source of "evil." That role seems to shift around depending on how the political winds blow (China? North Korea? Iraq? Afghanistan? Russia?). I don't know what will happen or when but, as a Church, we certainly are not as "eschatological" or "apocalyptical" as we used to be. And that's probably for the best.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 24 Aug 2014, 13:44

When I was in my more traditional believing days I remembered studying up on Armageddon in the old testament student manual from the church. It mentioned that Armageddon would began after two witnesses, General Authorities, were killed and resurrected in Jerusalem. Basically it would involve the nation of Israel and others in Israel in basically some sort of world war. I still have faith that this could happen, but after having a faith reconstruction I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't ever happen. Now how could Armageddon be more understood in a truly symbolic way.