TR Question Survey

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Daeruin

TR Question Survey

Post by Daeruin »

This survey has been referred to several times since I started posting on the forum. I figured it was about time someone gathered all the threads into a single post. Hopefully this one comes up near the top of the search results when people search for it.

For those who don't know, this series of posts consisted of a survey about each one of the temple recommend interview questions. People answered the survey with whether they would answer the question with a YES or a NO, and then lots of people commented on what their justification is for their chosen answer. There's lots of good advice and comments on different ways to view the temple recommend interview questions.

TR Question Survey
The Proposal
Question 1a: God
Question 1b: Jesus Christ
Question 1c: Holy Ghost
Question 2: Atonement
Question 3: Restoration
Question 4: Sustaining LDS Leadership
Question 5: Law of Chastity
Question 6: Family Conduct
Question 7: Affiliating with Apostates
Question 8: Keeping Covenants
Question 9: Honesty
Question 10a: Tithing
Question 10b: Word of Wisdom
Question 11: Divorce Obligations
Question 12: Temple Covenants
Question 13: Unresolved Sins
Question 14: Worthiness
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien
mackay11

Re: TR Question Survey

Post by mackay11 »

That's fantastic, thanks for pulling this together.

I think there's a final thread that acts as a summary to the whole project.
Daeruin

Post by Daeruin »

If there is, I didn't notice it. All the more reason for this thread, I guess. :)
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien
Ann

Post by Ann »

Is there one about garments? (And, thanks....)

Edited to add: Sorry, I don't see how to delete a post. Yes, this is included in Question 12.
Last edited by Ann on 19 May 2014, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11
nibbler

Post by nibbler »

Probably should be stickied to the top.
I kept a diary right after I was born. Day 1: Tired from the move. Day 2: Everyone thinks I'm an idiot.
— Steven Wright
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Ann wrote:Is there one about garments? (And, thanks....)
Thanks, Daeruin, I have found this interesting reading since it all occurred prior to my time here and it is so comprehensive in regard to the questions.

Ann, aren't the garments part of question 12 or is that not what you're asking?
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man »

Thanks for bring this back. It was this Survey that made me focus on what I believe within the contacts of the TR interview process. In the end I got a TR again after many years of being absent. For me, it was a good experience.

As I read through the questions & view my responses, I would probably answer them a little different today. Maybe that is what our faith should be? A constant process of review, analysis & refining.
Forgotten_Charity

Post by Forgotten_Charity »

Mike wrote: Maybe that is what our faith should be? A constant process of review, analysis & refining.
:smile: isn't that what progression is about?
:D
Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man »

I know you were joking but, that's what it should be.
How many members really do question what they believe?
I didn't when I was in the "follow the herd" phase of my belief cycle.
There are only a few that I'm aware of, in my small group of friends, that question.
This is one of the healthy aspects of this web site.
We question, we analyze, we discuss, we make decisions to either stay or leave.
Forgotten_Charity

Post by Forgotten_Charity »

Mike wrote:I know you were joking but, that's what it should be.
How many members really do question what they believe?
I didn't when I was in the "follow the herd" phase of my belief cycle.
There are only a few that I'm aware of, in my small group of friends, that question.
This is one of the healthy aspects of this web site.
We question, we analyze, we discuss, we make decisions to either stay or leave.
It was half a joke. Since I really do poke fun of myself daily. I tend to question by nature since birth, it's why I noticed I was different and discouraged from doing so(read attacked). I stopped eventually to fit in. So I was originally born a way, dragged into not questioning my own beliefs or self for decades then recently learned to accept self again(thus my questioning nature). To be fair most if the questions are inward on bit outward as they are meant to reflect myself and not others. I love this sight for that reason. I have a library of friends to analyze science, government, society, culture and generally everything in a healthy way. But not in a LDS sense. This is the only place I can ask questions internally, then after reflection(usually) externally here. And form a healthy atmosphere, I can't get that in any other LDS environment like I can the others. At least for me it isn't there no matter where I move to. So I appreciate being able to do it here. The best places to so it are those places with different points of view(not the same). To grow we need to reflect honestly and search inside and out with different points of view. I have learned a lot here because of this about myself and the LDS theology. I would call that (for me) more progress in 2 years then in the ready of my life when I didn't analyze and accept self)because no one else seemed to).

It is nice to be able to come to a place and ask yourself internally and externally what you have learned and what you believe and where you are and where you want to go independently(exploration of self and perception and relation to others and the world(universe). To progress truly it is crucial.

Anyways, thank you for chiming in. I appreciate it.