The Role of Sharks in the Resurrection

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
SamBee

Re: The Role of Sharks in the Resurrection

Post by SamBee » 21 Feb 2014, 13:16

Actually I think of this more as connected up with our no tattoos and few piercings policy.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 08 Mar 2016, 08:46

I wanted to kick this discussion up again after the topic I posted on cremation. The two are so similar. I was especially touched by amateurparent.
amateurparent wrote:When our oldest daughter died, there were members who were shocked that we chose to bury her in her favorite dress and hat. Her outfit was not white. Apparently, white is the cultural norm .. But the outfit we chose was the norm for our daughter... And we had a patriarch's wife tell us that our daughter wasn't being healed because we didn't have anyone with the right kind of faith to pray over her. That the right person could DEMAND healing from God. She had her husband show up in ICU to give our daughter a "more correct and righteous" blessing. Our daughter still died, and years later, I am still insulted that she thought our prayers were not worthy enough. To have someone state that they doubted my worthiness before God because my daughter wasn't healed was so offensive. There aren't even words to describe the depth of that offense.
I am amazed sometimes how insensitive we can be. I can't imagine thinking this comment & action would be appropriate in any way.
Maybe because we are members of the same church, we feel we are entitled to say anything. Or, maybe it is mental or emotional illness.
AP, I give you a lot of credit. You showed more Christ like love & compassion than this Sister ever did.

I can't imagine her position of: "The right person could DEMAND healing from God."
My blood pressure is rising as I write this.

NightSG

Post by NightSG » 08 Mar 2016, 13:37

nibbler wrote:I always assumed that the suggestion not to cremate unless it was a "last resort" existed because it is harder for god to resurrect someone if they had been cremated.
A few people have had at least a portion of their ashes scattered in space. Do we really believe that He's going to be sitting around like a kid with a jigsaw puzzle missing a piece when He gets to those?

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 08 Mar 2016, 14:10

Maybe it inconveniences the angels who must effect the resurrection. Operational efficiency is very important in some cultures. After all, all things are temporal, right? And not even the church is exempt from temporal concerns...:)
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

amateurparent

Post by amateurparent » 08 Mar 2016, 15:39

I'm reading this thread and laughing about burial .. (Not my proudest moment).

Im sure you all remember that in Europe, graveyards got crowded, so after a certain number of years, bodies were dug up, bones got put into a stack, and the cemetery plot got reused multiple times. Think of the mix of DNA in those plots!

I love the fact that the LDS church encourages blood donation, and has a neutral/positive stance on organ donation. It is the JWs refuse such things. They see giving or receiving of blood or organs as giving up part of one's soul.

It is so interesting to me that the LDS culture shakes its head at those who bury wealth and fabulous clothing with their dead, but then turns around and treats temple clothes as an important item to be buried with. I see temple garments as entirely symbolic, yet many members do see them as something you are going to need immediately in the afterworld. Personally, I think a buried fiberglass kayak would last better than buried temple clothes, and be way more fun as a newly resurrected being.

LDS religious doctrine is along the lines of, "We were made from dust, and we return to dust and we will be resurrected from dust." .. But then they add the importance of temple clothes. Those two don't match up. I would love to know when the tradition of burial in temple clothes became the norm.

I do not want to be buried in temple clothes. The head gear never looked great on me. Maybe a baseball cap would be better ..

I'm going to ask God to add a little glitter to my dust pile .. Kind of a post-mortal bedazzling .. I can shine just a little brighter ..
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 08 Mar 2016, 15:53

amateurparent wrote:I'm going to ask God to add a little glitter to my dust pile .. Kind of a post-mortal bedazzling .. I can shine just a little brighter ..
You could go the life gem route.
The wound is the place where the light enters you.
— Rumi

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 09 Mar 2016, 09:05

I will add, however, that this is why I am puzzled by the inclusion of counsel in the CHI not to use cremation upon death if not mandated by law. I absolutely see that as a cultural bias that has absolutely no relevance to our doctrine or the Gospel.
As I understand it, if it is done as a decision of the deceased, then it is more of a problem than involuntary cremation.

I think it also goes back to the fact that fire was used as a horrific form of human sacrifice in the Old Testament.

DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

amateurparent

Post by amateurparent » 09 Mar 2016, 13:49

Nah .. Nothing so deep and thoughtful as OT stuff.

I truly think it is because during the time it was added to the CHI, cremation was not culturally "normal".

Tattoos are discouraged -- unless they are tattoos that are part of a cultural norm. In Papua New Guinea, tattooing is fine. Not in the US.
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

DancingCarrot

Post by DancingCarrot » 09 Mar 2016, 20:55

amateurparent wrote:I truly think it is because during the time it was added to the CHI, cremation was not culturally "normal".

Tattoos are discouraged -- unless they are tattoos that are part of a cultural norm. In Papua New Guinea, tattooing is fine. Not in the US.
I'm with amateurparent with this line of thinking. It's just not what was known, liked, or accepted at a time when information was being disseminated like mice make babies. In an era where people gobbled up authority figures' words like Americans culturally gobble up turkeys every Thanksgiving. Ok, ok. Enough analogies. :D

I personally have a couple of tattoos. And I love them. The main thing I had to get over was my cultural upbringing. I realized that I really like tattoos, but that I was told that they were defiling to a person's body. Not to me. They have so much meaning, purposefully, that they're as much a part of me as my personality.

Someone else mentioned that we are all made up of used bits and pieces of other people, and that's what gets me hung up on this subject. I'm not sure there's literally enough earthly particles to recreate every single human who has ever lived. I mean, maybe. There's more weight in insects than people. But still. I love the concept of continuation, but I just don't get how a resurrection is supposed to literally happen for how many people have existed. This is where variations of reincarnation come in for me.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live. -Dumbledore

Roll away your stone, I'll roll away mine. Together we can see what we will find. -Mumford & Sons

amateurparent

Post by amateurparent » 10 Mar 2016, 02:37

DancingCarrot, I have see some LDS authorities who seem to talk about reincarnation without actually the term. They talk all the way around it but avoid that particular word. If I can find a quote, I post it.