The Role of Sharks in the Resurrection

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: The Role of Sharks in the Resurrection

Post by Curt Sunshine » 09 Feb 2014, 16:38

Roy, I know people who believe that resurrected people will be dressed in their temple clothing in order to perform the necessary rituals to get into heaven. I guess they believe that being buried in the clothing will make it easier or faster to get dressed properly - so they'll be further ahead in the line - or something.

I think, like most things, they simply take everything literally and don't stop to think critically about things like this - but that definitely is my own bias showing.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » 09 Feb 2014, 18:47

SamBee wrote:Thoreau, what about all those bits falling off us all the time? Do our skin flakes, loose hairs and nail clippings come back? What about our gut fauna and flora? Or the blood, mucus and saliva that's leaked out of our body from time to time?

I think this is the problem if we're too literal. I have no problem with the bodily resurrection, but I see it as our idealized body... however when it says "every hair shall be restored", I think it means one will have a full head of hair, not a monstrous impossible Afro.

ps Great title, Curtis.
That's why I don't believe in the literal. We are all made of star stuff. We have atoms in us that used to be in someone or something else.
“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” Henry David Thoreau

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 09 Feb 2014, 20:32

Curtis wrote:Roy, I know people who believe that resurrected people will be dressed in their temple clothing in order to perform the necessary rituals to get into heaven. I guess they believe that being buried in the clothing will make it easier or faster to get dressed properly - so they'll be further ahead in the line - or something.

I think, like most things, they simply take everything literally and don't stop to think critically about things like this - but that definitely is my own bias showing.
That's the gist of it as I understand it as well, but like so many things, it really breaks down as something literal. Personally, I think it's a prefectly fine custom, to show, symbolically, that a person has reached the end of their days in faith, and that they are prepared to meet God at the veil. Beyond that gesture, it has no doctrinal meaning. I knew a guy that was a sharp dresser his whole life. Even though he was a fully faithful and all-in member of the Church, he made it clear that he wanted to be buried in a black suit and tie... with no temple clothes... And so he was... may he continue to rest in peace.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -

journeygirl

Post by journeygirl » 09 Feb 2014, 21:55

I read an article recently about how in the US cremations are becoming more common because it is cheaper. It also talked about a chemical version that uses water that is suppose to be more environmentally friendly.

Cadence

The Role of Sharks in the Resurrection

Post by Cadence » 10 Feb 2014, 07:53

hawkgrrrl wrote:It's not like decay is lovely either. I think being embalmed is what we should be against. When we are dead it's time to let it go. We want to look alive but we are dead.
Yes embalming seems much worse to me. Bury me in a cardboard box and let me decay.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

mom3

Post by mom3 » 10 Feb 2014, 16:34

My daughter, who is studying to be an anthropologist, and I were discussing cemeteries the other day. We were imaging the unearthing of our hermetically sealed coffins. There everyone would be, all make up still in place, clothes pressed and tidy. A book of scripture in hand - and the Mormons in their funny ritual clothes. It made for a great laugh.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

NewLight

Post by NewLight » 21 Feb 2014, 05:54

Wow, we really mulled this cremation thing over! I've always thought it really doesn't matter what you do and that it is a cultural thing, but cremation is definitely less expensive. I was always bothered by how much it simply costs to die and leave this earth -- very big business and a shame to hit a grieving family with this massive expense.

Getting back to the shark thing though -- I gave that lesson and was very amused by the quote. I figured we all now knew one of President Smith's deepest, darkest fears n :D

amateurparent

Post by amateurparent » 21 Feb 2014, 06:32

Back in the 1970's, cremation was seen as outside the cultural norm in the US.

I had always assumed that the church was just trying to avoid any burial practice that was seen as odd. But that cremation was acceptable in areas where is was seen as a norm.

The Church tries so hard to herd us all into the area under the curve. I have always wanted to see a GA stand up and counsel, "No member is allowed to be more than ONE standard deviation from the mean. Exceptions are ONLY allowed in athletic success, financial success, academic achievement, and musical ability"
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

amateurparent

Post by amateurparent » 21 Feb 2014, 06:54

When our oldest daughter died, there were members who were shocked that we chose to bury her in her favorite dress and hat. Her outfit was not white. Apparently, white is the cultural norm .. But the outfit we chose was the norm for our daughter.

We both spoke at her funeral. We had non-LDS friends ask if the church MADE us speak. They thought maybe it was a church requirement. WHAT??

.. And we had a patriarch's wife tell us that our daughter wasn't being healed because we didn't have anyone with the right kind of faith to pray over her. That the right person could DEMAND healing from God. She had her husband show up in ICU to give our daughter a "more correct and righteous" blessing. Our daughter still died, and years later, I am still insulted that she thought our prayers were not worthy enough. To have someone state that they doubted my worthiness before God because my daughter wasn't healed was so offensive. There aren't even words to describe the depth of that offense.

And our daughter would've LOVED the idea of sharks
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 21 Feb 2014, 10:13

Yeah, some people's self-righteousness knows no bounds - and their lack of awareness only heightens their ignorance.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken