JS and OC receive the Aaronic Priesthood

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
roobytoos

Post by roobytoos » 06 Jul 2013, 22:13

During Youth Conference our ward's youth (my children included) went to the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and watched a movie they show there... bear with me, as this was reported to me by my 13 year old daughter...
Having not seen the video myself, I'm not sure exactly what is said. However it left my daughter with questions (I'm so proud! Way to go and try to find your own truth!!)
She asked me a question I wasn't sure how to answer, perhaps one of you can help me enlighten my daughter. She asked how it was possible that JS and OC were able to receive the Aaronic priesthood before being baptized, because you need to be baptized and have your sins remitted before you can have the priesthood. She wanted to know why they were different, what the rationale is.... quite frankly I was stumped. I hadn't pondered on this in years and the pat Sunday School answer of "it's one of the mysteries of God" isn't enough to satisfy an enquiring mind.
Any advice on how to explain this to a young mind in a positive way?

Brown

Re: JS and OC receive the Aaronic Priesthood

Post by Brown » 07 Jul 2013, 01:18

Well this is kind of a chicken or the egg thing.

How could they be baptized if nobody on earth had the priesthood? How can they hold the preisthood if they have not been baptized? The story goes that they were both ordained Priests and then they baptized each other. Same time. So whatever out-of-compliance state they were in, it was not for long.

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 07 Jul 2013, 04:39

You could tell her that a lot of things were done in a different way during the foundation of the church. Some people were baptised twice. When Joseph Smith died there was no system in place for a new prophet.

Having said that... John the Baptist could have first baptised them both and then given them the Aaronic Priesthood. In theory.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 07 Jul 2013, 05:46

I would point to the need for exceptions when movements are in their beginning stages or when there are unprecedented events. For example, another exception is Jesus Christ's body. The scriptures tell us that our bodies will be perfect in the resurrection. However, when Christ was resurrected, he had scars on his hands and feet. Therefore, his body was not perfect. But the scars were necessary as a special witness of his sacrifice.

Exceptions like these exist in the beginning stages of important events.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Cadence

Post by Cadence » 07 Jul 2013, 07:15

I do not think fabricating responses to questions our children pose is in their best interest. We build in belief that there is always an answer to difficult questions in the church. That is how apologists are built. Always starting from the premise that there is a correct answer just forces you to find one.

Maybe there is no legitimate answer and we need to leave it at that.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

jamison

Post by jamison » 07 Jul 2013, 08:26

Back even before the restoration of the Priesthood, Joseph had repented of his sins. One example was the first vision. How Could he see God the Father and Jesus Christ without his sins being somehow forgiven? Secondly, when in his room in the Smith Family home in Palmyra, Joseph prayed to know his standing before God and the Angel Maroni appeared unto him to tell him about the Gold Plates, and the mission he would have. I don't remember it correctly, but perhaps he had his sins forgiven in that moment to.
"Ignorance, fear, and conflict are the basic elements of everyday consciousness" Marvin Harris -- Cows, Pigs, Wars, and Witches.

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 07 Jul 2013, 09:27

Cadence wrote:We build in belief that there is always an answer to difficult questions in the church. That is how apologists are built. Always starting from the premise that there is a correct answer just forces you to find one.
What Cadence said!

I don't like the "mysteries of God" answer, but I am fine with saying "It doesn't really matter." It's wonderful that she is asking questions, because that will lead to finding her own truth, as you said. This is a great opportunity to help her understand that questions about procedure shouldn't be confused with questions about God/spirituality. I can explain why the church practiced polygamy, restricted the priesthood, or covered up the Mountain Meadows Massacre. But in each case, if you peel away the justification and ask if it is right or of God, then the answer is fairly obvious.

Jesus was badgered about why his group didn't fast, didn't observe the sabbath day, and kept company with questionable people. His response was basically to yawn and tell them that he was busy with larger concerns than that.

I'll tell you what I understand about the question at hand, but I caveat it with, "It doesn't really matter" and "there are larger concerns than that".

There are two purposes for baptism. The first, and most important one, is what we call "remission of sins" but which I really think of as starting a new life, free from the foibles of mankind (not looking back, but looking forward). The second is the joining with the Kingdom of God. On April 6, 1830, after the Church was created, the congregation walked down to a stream and people were baptized into the Church, including those that had been previously baptized "for the remission of sins".

roobytoos

Post by roobytoos » 07 Jul 2013, 09:33

Thanks for the advice. I will talk to her this afternoon. I don't want to create an apologist, I want to have a daughter that can and will seek for truth in all things, no matter where that leads her.