Darius Gray (Blacks and the Priesthood)

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Darius Gray (Blacks and the Priesthood)

Post by Curt Sunshine » 30 May 2009, 16:37

I want to draw everyone's attention to a series of posts that Professor Margaret Young has written on By Common Consent. They highlight her time with Darius Gray, the founder of the Genesis Group for Black Mormons, at this year's Mormon History Association conference. Margaret and Darius co-produced an astounding film, "Nobody Knows: The Untold Story of Black Mormons". They are traveling the country showing the film at various festivals, and I personally admire Bro. Gray probably as much as any person in the history of the Church. He has cancer, but he is doing all he can to "build the kingdom" from which he was excluded in many important ways for years. If there is ANYONE who would have been justified in leaving the Church, it is this man - and his dogged determination to not let anyone decide and define his faith for him blows me away. Truly, he is a modern hero in my eyes.

Anyway, Margaret's posts can be found at the links below. Please read each one, then feel free to comment here. (Example from Part 3: "Margaret, this is the restored gospel. That doesn’t mean people didn’t say stupid things. Don’t let it grind you down.")

MHA with Darius - Part 1 (http://bycommonconsent.com/2009/05/26/m ... us-part-1/)

MHA with Darius - Part 2 (http://bycommonconsent.com/2009/05/27/m ... us-part-2/)

MHA with Darius - Part 3 (http://bycommonconsent.com/2009/05/29/m ... us-part-3/)
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

professionalmom

Re: Darius Gray (Blacks and the Priesthood)

Post by professionalmom » 30 May 2009, 21:31

I just watched the Untold Story last weekend and it brought me to tears. I highly recommend it. I had the privilege of meeting Brother Gray several years ago and my 15 minutes with him changed my life. I wish everyone would have the chance to meet this incredible man who lives his beliefs and shares an incredible love with all his brothers and sisters. Fortunately, through the work of Margaret Young and the amazing blessing of technology, more and more of us are being exposed to the incredible work that has been done in this important area. Thanks for posting this Ray.
"The path that is best for you is the path that keeps the best of you in play."

LadyWisdom

Post by LadyWisdom » 22 Jun 2009, 22:58

I really appreciate you posting these, they were such a delight to read. I will be praying for Darius, so sorry to hear that he is ill with cancer. I highly respect this man. He is amazing!

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 27 Jul 2009, 20:22

Ray Degraw wrote:I want to draw everyone's attention to a series of posts that Professor Margaret Young has written on By Common Consent. They highlight her time with Darius Gray, the founder of the Genesis Group for Black Mormons, at this year's Mormon History Association conference. Margaret and Darius co-produced an astounding film, "Nobody Knows: The Untold Story of Black Mormons". They are traveling the country showing the film at various festivals, and I personally admire Bro. Gray probably as much as any person in the history of the Church. He has cancer, but he is doing all he can to "build the kingdom" from which he was excluded in many important ways for years. If there is ANYONE who would have been justified in leaving the Church, it is this man - and his dogged determination to not let anyone decide and define his faith for him blows me away. Truly, he is a modern hero in my eyes.
As a newbie, I just saw this thread and must comment. I saw the film shortly after it was first produced and would highly recommend it. With regards to Darius Gray, I'm right there with you in terms of my admiration for him. I could count on one hand the number of people I do not know personally but admire tremendously, and he is absolutely one of them. Have you personally heard him speak, Ray? I have on two occasions and find that I simply do not have words to convey the spirit you feel in his presence. (If you knew me, you'd know how totally unlike me a statement like that actually is.) I am devastated to hear that he has cancer. He's one truly incredible man.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 27 Jul 2009, 20:24

professionalmom wrote:I had the privilege of meeting Brother Gray several years ago and my 15 minutes with him changed my life.
Odd as it may sound, that makes total sense to me.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~