TR Question Survey - Question 11: Divorce Obligations

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
wayfarer

TR Question Survey - Question 11: Divorce Obligations

Post by wayfarer » 12 Jul 2012, 11:46

11. Do you have financial or other obligations to a former spouse or children? If yes, are you current in meeting those obligations?

No poll needed on this question. Not sure what to discuss on this question.

I have seen this question being used as a weapon in divorces, and then I've also seen people somehow get by on not paying child support and still maintain a TR.

Personal opinion? If someone has an obligation toward a former spouse or children, then they oughta pay it. I'm not sure how it equates to temple -- i kind of think it is covered with the 'honest in your dealings' question.

If anyone has thoughts here, please post away.
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: TR Question Survey - Question 11: Divorce Obligations

Post by Curt Sunshine » 12 Jul 2012, 11:49

It's a redundant question that was added to address a specific problem (a very serious problem, imo) that must have been (still is?) large enough to make it be a separate question.

In theory, this is what I don't want to happen (more specific questions), but I can see and respect the reason for this one. I'd like to see it disappear, but I'm not invested emotionally in it in any way.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mercyngrace

Post by mercyngrace » 12 Jul 2012, 12:21

N/A to me and seems redundant given the earlier questions about family relationships. My guess it that this question was reactionary to a real issue.
Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. ~ Luke 7:47

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 12 Jul 2012, 13:04

n/a = not applicable.
I was married in the temple back in 1972. At that time, this question wasn't asked. I wish it would of been.
As I've mention before, I'm a convert to the church. I joined with the my first wife.
About (2) weeks after being baptised, she decided she wanted a divorce.
About (2) years later I met my current wife & we decided to be married in the temple.
My Bishop knew about the divorce & new the circumstances.
We got to Utah & went to get our marriage license. There is a state requirement that you must show you are current in support payments & have permission
from the county where the divorce took place. We really had to jump through hoops to full fill this requirement. My exwife had to get involved, etc.
It was a mess.

We just celebrated our 40th anniversary. Talk about miracles.
Mike from Milton.

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer » 12 Jul 2012, 13:13

mike, that's really touching. Congrats of 40 years.
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com

bc_pg

Post by bc_pg » 12 Jul 2012, 13:48

This is now the 2nd question that I could answer correctly :)

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 12 Jul 2012, 17:47

For this one I don't have a problem with the concept of keeping up with support payments. But the more jaded side of me thinks the question made it into the TR questions because the church got tired of making welfare payments to single mothers whose fathers had abdicated their financial responsibility. I see the question's presence in the TR rooted more in management than in morality. More in serving organizational interests than in helping coax others to a higher road.

I don't condone the fathers'/mothers' behavior in avoiding support payments, and agree that a person should keep those obligations. However, the possible linking of church financial interests to this issue is what bothers me here. Smart from a business standpoint, however, you know how I feel about what I call Churchitis. That is what this question means to me.

I have never been divorced and would keep those obligations if I had them, I know it, so I could answer Yes to this question.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

cwald

Post by cwald » 12 Jul 2012, 18:13

SilentDawning wrote:...I see the question's presence in the TR rooted more in management than in morality. More in serving organizational interests than in helping coax others to a higher road.
Perhaps this insight could be said about several of these questions?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 13 Jul 2012, 06:32

It's an important issue for sure. But I don't think the temple recommend interview is the right place to preach or enforce it. It's a strange place to police this social problem in our day.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.