TR Question Survey - Question 2: Atonement

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.

Do you have a testimony of the Atonement of Christ and of His role as Savior and Redeemer?

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 27

mercyngrace

Re: TR Question Survey - Question 2: Atonement

Post by mercyngrace »

Sorry I missed Ray's response. Takes me FOREVER to type on my phone... Ugh!

It goes without saying that the long post before this is how I see things. YMMV.
Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. ~ Luke 7:47
Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 »

mercyngrace wrote:I find it useful to think of sin and virtue in terms of words, thoughts, and deeds that either injure and alienate or heal and unite.
I like this thought. Thanks! :thumbup:
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."
GBSmith

Post by GBSmith »

I'm afraid I've not found these threads very helpful as a marginal believer. Those that have posted, responded, reposted and responded again seem to be speaking from the same intense position of faith and committment. For me and some like me lacking that means there's not really a place a this table. If I had that sort of testimony I wouldn't be lurking here trying to figure out how to stay. I'll back out for awhile and see what everyone has to say about the WoW.
Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 »

GBSmith wrote:I'm afraid I've not found these threads very helpful as a marginal believer. Those that have posted, responded, reposted and responded again seem to be speaking from the same intense position of faith and committment. For me and some like me lacking that means there's not really a place a this table. If I had that sort of testimony I wouldn't be lurking here trying to figure out how to stay. I'll back out for awhile and see what everyone has to say about the WoW.
I imagine we each have our different points in these lists of questions requiring us to evaluate our faith.

The first few questions are not the ones I struggle with as much as others.

Perhaps, GB, the thoughts and faith on the Godhead and Atonement hinge more on some of the other points in the interview for you.

I can see how the order of these questions would change a person's thoughts on the subject.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."
cwald

Post by cwald »

GBSmith wrote:I'm afraid I've not found these threads very helpful as a marginal believer. Those that have posted, responded, reposted and responded again seem to be speaking from the same intense position of faith and committment. For me and some like me lacking that means there's not really a place a this table. If I had that sort of testimony I wouldn't be lurking here trying to figure out how to stay. I'll back out for awhile and see what everyone has to say about the WoW.
Yep. To me the first two questions are givemes. Universal.

It will get much more interesting from here on out.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby
Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 »

I know the atonement, although I have more to learn about it in this life.
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

Perhaps I haven't been clear. I'm not sure that each of us have expressed intense faith, but rather, how we feel about this specific question. Many intensely feel something with respect to these things, but I hardly think it could be categorized as "faith" in the standard LDS definitions of things.

In my original post, I rejected the standard definition of atonement including the concept that god was so hung up on our sins he needed to kill his son. I also rejected the idea of fallen man. I then defined what atonement is to me, and a personal experience with it.

Likewise, in my answer to the question of God, I rejected the standard definition, and posited what 'god' is to me. These are not your standard testimonies.

I think Ray, Brian and others have defined their way of answering the question -- most of which don't fit the standard testimony model -- I find this fascinating.

I'm interested in what you have to say, because until this very post, I thought you were more-or-less a traditional believer. Maybe I have read your posts incorrectly -- I think you have valuable input to share, and I for one would like read it. However, participation in the thread is up to you.

I appreciate you being here. We're all just muddling through, in my humble opinion.
Last edited by wayfarer on 07 Jul 2012, 05:30, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com
BobDixon

Post by BobDixon »

I think the problem many Latter-day Saints have is that they dumb down the atonement and Jesus' sacrifice on the cross. I'm sure this is true of others also, but I don't hang out on their disaffected websites. :-)

Because of the legalism that infects our culture the atonement is largely something that applies to somebody else. I had the home teachers over last week and one of my home teachers is a former member of the temple presidency and is incredibly smug. They brought lesson 12 from the GASmith manual about sharing the gospel and he kept talking about how "they" need the gospel. Later on in the conversation he talked about his inactive children and about the example of righteousness he and his wife set. Most Latter-day Saints believe, I think, that if you can pass a temple recommend interview, do OK in your calling, and are not guilty of major moral sins that they are justified by their personal righteousness, merely because they follow the obvious rules that the church articulates. Receiving a leadership calling is all the evidence you need that you are favored by God, and the higher the calling the better you are.

This is one reason I think that general conference talks in general often lack the power of a testimony like the one Wayfarer shared early in this thread. With the exception of Dieter Uchtdorf's Sunday AM talk they would never think of sharing the idea that they were sinners in need of a savior. The atonement is for people who have committed adultery, fornicated, are gay, are drug addicted, or in some way committed a "hot sin", being defined as a sin committed by somebody else, as opposed to the sins like gossip, lack of gratitude, lack of concern for the poor, etc., that we ourselves commit that are of course small things we convince ourselves that God doesn't care about.

Sin matters because it hurts other people and spits in Heavenly Father's face, like our own children spit in our face when we lack gratitude for everything we have been given. "Be Ye Therefore Perfect" indicts us all. Every one. No one lives up to Jesus' example of worship, dedication to sharing the gospel, or concern for others. Nor are we capable of this level of perfection on our own.

Somebody earlier referred to the atonement as a metaphor and was turned off by the idea of a God torturing his son in order to pay for the mistakes of others. I know this is a concern for a lot of people, but I think when you scrub the dirt and the blood and the nail marks off of the crucifixion you rob it of its power. It is incredibly gruesome and offensive, but it's supposed to be, because otherwise we would not understand either the depth of God's love for us or the seriousness of sin or the width of the gulf between a perfect God and our imperfect selves. We wouldn't really understand just how deeply we need a Savior. We would think that it's enough to be a nice person and be kind to animals and maybe contribute to Friends of Scouting or to give five bucks at Christmas to the Salvation Army, and then surely God loves you.

To the extent that some consider Latter-day Saints not Christian, I think this is largely the reason. If you go back to Wayfarer's original post, you see a man (I think . . ) who knows he cannot save himself. If you looked at my story you would see a man (this I know! :-)) who spent the first eight years of his LDS membership burdened with incredible guilt, because I was never good enough on my own. Until the last TR I had in 2007 I always locked up on the last question, because I knew I was not worthy. Only after two years of disaffection and studying outside LDS sources did I understand that I am "worthy" only because Christ's sacrifice makes me worthy, and for no other reason. All my "works" are mere acts of gratitude and in no way "qualify" me for anything.

I don't think most LDS see it that way. They believe their mere cultural conversion to the LDS church and having sat through some ordinances is what justifies them before God.

There is no such thing as a saving ordinance. What saves is the core knowledge that you need a savior because of your intractable imperfections, that Savior is Jesus, and the atonement is what makes eternal life possible.

I feel like this is pretty clearly articulated in the Bible and BoM, but often lost in just keeping the programs going in the LDS church. It's also there in the words of the general authorities, but again often lost in the "keep the commandments" "pay your tithing" "follow the standards" drumbeat. I had to go outside the church to really understand the atonement and to actually be able to find it inside the church, because before I didn't really know what to look for.
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

Wow, Bob, I really appreciate your response -- It's quite distinct from my point of view, but I've gained a lot from your insight. Just to be clear, is that a "yes" or a "no" on the question of "atonement"?
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com
Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man »

Well said BobDixon.
Outstanding stuff.

Mike from Milton.