Acknowledgement of 1831 Revelation of Polygamy?

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
curt

Acknowledgement of 1831 Revelation of Polygamy?

Post by curt » 10 Jun 2012, 19:34

I was reading about the 1831 revelation on polygamy which is supposed to exist in the Church archives but which apparently has never been made fully public. The Tanners bring mention to it in their work, and claim to have seen it. Wikipedia lists as "alleged," suggesting that there are people out there who don't believe in it. The revelation apparently directs JS and other Mormon men to marry and have sexual relations with Lamanite women so as to make them "white and delightsome," even if they were already married. Obviously, controversial for a number of reasons it has supposedly been suppressed. However, I was just now thumbing through my 1981 edition of the D&C and it says in the introduction to D&C 132, the revelation on polygamy from 1843, it says in plain English: "Although the revelation was recorded in 1843, it is evident from the historical records that the doctrines and principles involved in this revelation had been known by the Prophet since 1831." Is this acknowledgement of the 1831 revelation? And do newer edition of the D&C still include this phrase in the introduction?

bc_pg

Re: Acknowledgement of 1831 Revelation of Polygamy?

Post by bc_pg » 10 Jun 2012, 19:56

The most recent edition is the edition you are looking at - I double checked on the church website and the current intro to 132 matches yours.

mormonheretic
Site Admin

Post by mormonheretic » 11 Jun 2012, 00:05

There is a non-LDS professor at Georgia Tech that has seen the revelation you speak of. He has written a book called "Religion and Sexuality: The Shakers, the Mormons, and the Oneida Community" which references the revelation. I haven't read the book, but I have read Mark Staker's wonderful book "Hearken O Ye People: The Historical Setting of Joseph Smith’s Ohio Revelations." Staker references Foster's book, and quotes the revelation.
“For it is my will, that in time, ye should take unto you wives of the Lamanites and Nephites that their posterity may become white[,] delightsome[,] and just, for even now their females are more virtuous than the gentiles.”
The date on the revelation is July 17, 1831 and it was received in Missouri.

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 11 Jun 2012, 01:12

I think so. I do know that the church's website still has that statement mentioned in D & C 132. So the newer editions of the Book of Mormon probably do.

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 13 Jun 2012, 11:40

It might be useful to think about how the Doctrine & Covenants was formed. This also taps into our notions of how "revelations" and other similar pronouncements are created.

We tend to think of a "section" of the D&C as a single, cohesive revelation. The historical reality of it was different. The text of D&C 89, for examples, was most likely a combination of 3 different revelations Joseph Smith wrote down. They were later pieced together by the committee of "Elders" in the church that put together the D&C. D&C 132 has some similar history, being a combination of revelations pieced together, allegedly the one given to Emma demanding she accept the idea of plural marriage. It wasn't actually published until the 1850's under Brigham Young.

So... what I am getting at is this: There are TONS of "revelations" from Joseph Smith that never made it into the canon of the Book of Commandments (the precursor to the D&C) and the Doctrine & Covenants. There's tons of stuff like that tucked away in the Church vaults, and no doubt many more lost forever to the ravages of time.

I don't think the existence of this 1831 revelation concerning marrying Native American women means anything about legitimizing polygamy, or setting the date earlier for The Lord establishing this principle as legit (taken literally). It isn't directly connected to D&C 132, and it isn't a missing piece to D&C 132.

It sounds plausible that JS may have had an idea like that. It also sounds plausible someone could have made it up and claimed it was a revelation. I don't think it represents a true reality either way though. The idea is pretty messed up.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

cwald

Post by cwald » 13 Jun 2012, 18:01

Yeah, its pretty offensive on multiple levels.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer » 14 Jun 2012, 05:47

mormonheretic wrote:There is a non-LDS professor at Georgia Tech that has seen the revelation you speak of. He has written a book called "Religion and Sexuality: The Shakers, the Mormons, and the Oneida Community" which references the revelation. I haven't read the book, but I have read Mark Staker's wonderful book "Hearken O Ye People: The Historical Setting of Joseph Smith’s Ohio Revelations." Staker references Foster's book, and quotes the revelation.
“For it is my will, that in time, ye should take unto you wives of the Lamanites and Nephites that their posterity may become white[,] delightsome[,] and just, for even now their females are more virtuous than the gentiles.”
The date on the revelation is July 17, 1831 and it was received in Missouri.
While I really think this is all 'make-believe', how is this 'revelation' related to 'polygamy'? It seems to encourage interracial marriage, without mentioning anything (at least in the quote above) about plural marriage.
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 14 Jun 2012, 12:25

My view on this one is exactly like wayfarer's - with the explicit nod to the historical irony of that conclusion.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer » 14 Jun 2012, 13:28

Ray Degraw wrote:My view on this one is exactly like wayfarer's - with the explicit nod to the historical irony of that conclusion.
oh yeah. Death to you on the spot!!!!
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com

Bruce in Montana

Post by Bruce in Montana » 14 Jun 2012, 16:38

OK...I'm reaching here. But....

"For it is my will, that in time, ye should take unto you wives of the Lamanites and Nephites that their posterity may become white[,] delightsome[,] and just, for even now their females are more virtuous than the gentiles.”

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, JS described his encounters with heavenly beings as being "white".....white hair, white robes, etc.....
Maybe this revelation was speaking of the next life...... since the Nephites were destroyed.

Admitedly, the "for even now" phrase doesn't seem to fit.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
-William S.