the face of Jesus

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
mormonheretic
Site Admin

the face of Jesus

Post by mormonheretic » 20 Jan 2011, 23:07

DevilsAdvocate,

I saw this video and immediately thought of you! Apparently the History Channel put together a 3-d representation of Christ from the Shroud of Turin. So what do you think?

See http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/face-je ... d-10248139

DevilsAdvocate

Re: the face of Jesus

Post by DevilsAdvocate » 21 Jan 2011, 10:09

mormonheretic wrote:DevilsAdvocate,

I saw this video and immediately thought of you! Apparently the History Channel put together a 3-d representation of Christ from the Shroud of Turin. So what do you think?
Yeah, I saw this show on the History Channel; basically they tried to reverse engineer the image from 2D back to 3D and the face on the shroud looks longer and older than what they came up with mostly because of the color and the way the 2D image maps to 3D. I hope no one is offended by me using this image; I don't really mean any sacrilege or disrespect by it at all I just like the story behind it and think it is an interesting relic whether it is fake or not.

I had always assumed that it was just a hoax because I read that they had done carbon dating tests that supposedly showed it was created around 1200-1300 AD. However, some people still dispute this because the cloth tested was from an edge that looks like it was repaired and if it was handled too much then the oil from peoples' skin supposedly could have affected the results for these tests as well. There is also a painting that shows what looks like the same shroud well before the dates given by these tests.

Even if it was a hoax it would be fairly elaborate to create because no one really knows for sure how the image was made in that case but they do know that it wasn't painted on with any kind of pigments. It has real human blood on the wounds and supposedly has pollen from around Israel on it as well. I don't believe a lot of things I hear on the History Channel but some of the details surrounding the Shroud of Turin really are weird and mysterious so I don't really know what to think about it.
"Truth is what works." - William James

cwald

Post by cwald » 21 Jan 2011, 13:00

I saw it on the history channel as well. Good stuff. I put it right there with the Knight Templars, Mary as the Holy Grail, and the whole Dan Brown world in general - I don't know if it's REAL, and I don't care. It's good stuff and makes the world just a little bit more interesting to me personally. (I am huge Dan Brown fan btw)

PS - I am not offended by the avatar.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 21 Jan 2011, 13:51

cwald wrote:I am huge Dan Brown fan btw
Cant wait for the Lost Symbol movie to come out (looks like 2012 now), loved the book. FWIW I think it has a very positive perspective on Masonic symbolism, etc.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

mormonheretic
Site Admin

Post by mormonheretic » 21 Jan 2011, 23:23

I have a documentary on the Shroud of Turin, and it's a topic that I find interesting. I've always written the shroud off as a hoax, but this documentary made some interesting claims on why the carbon dating was wrong. I don't know what to think.

As for Dan Brown, I liked Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons, but the Lost Symbol was a bit of a letdown for me. It seemed to follow the same formula, and was a bit too predictable for me. To be honest, I had heard that there was going to be a lot about Mormons, but the few references were pretty benign.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 24 Jan 2011, 13:03

I don't believe the shroud is of Jesus, but it is extremely strange anyway. If it is a fake, it is an extremely good one.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

jwald

Post by jwald » 24 Jan 2011, 13:27

I just watched the Angles and Demons movie for the first time Sunday after church. Disappointing.

cwald

Post by cwald » 24 Jan 2011, 13:29

Opps, that was me that
I just watched the Angles and Demons movie for the first time Sunday after church. Disappointing.
jwald must have been on here today.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 25 Jan 2011, 09:29

jwald wrote:I just watched the Angles and Demons movie for the first time Sunday after church. Disappointing.
It's pretty pathetic, and that's partly because the Catholic Church wouldn't allow them on their property (for some reason :lol: )

However, the book's kind of fun.

Don't expect accuracy from Dan Brown though, there are some real howlers in his books...
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."