Green tea

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
SamBee

Re: Green tea

Post by SamBee » 16 Jun 2010, 14:35

The problem is that too many things which are not good for you are fun! Or tasty, or enjoyable. I think it's really unfair sometimes! It's just that they seem to have consequences which are not so pleasant sometimes.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 18 Jun 2010, 08:50

Will Rogers said:
Everything I like is either immoral, illegal or fattening.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 18 Jun 2010, 15:24

Will Rogers is just about right, although there are a number of enjoyable things which don't fall into those categories of course... like cuddling your son or daughter, seeing a beautiful landscape or hearing the best kinds of music and so on... but Will is still not far off it. Too much sin is enjoyable... not the murdering or fighting kind of sin (unless you're really twisted), but substance abuse (before the consequences), fornication (and no doubt adultery), and joy riding must all count.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Cadence

Post by Cadence » 18 Jun 2010, 18:10

Brian Johnston wrote: I used to make my own herbal medicines from scratch, and we stopped vaccinating about 15 years ago. I also developed my own goofy set of stretching exercises that help me with chronic back pain from an injury while serving in the Army.
All that sounds dangerous to me.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 18 Jun 2010, 18:55

Cadence wrote:All that sounds dangerous to me.
Oh yes. Indeed it is. I am a real thrill seeker! :twisted: :lol: :lol:
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 22 Jun 2010, 09:49

SamBee wrote:Will Rogers is just about right, although there are a number of enjoyable things which don't fall into those categories of course... like cuddling your son or daughter, seeing a beautiful landscape or hearing the best kinds of music and so on....
Indeed!
  • A well-spiced vegetable soup, nice and warm or icy cold
  • A pure fruit smoothie
  • An evening on the lawn under a huge tree
  • Doing the work you love
  • Listening to a conversation or a friend
  • Remembering a great dream
  • Stopping
  • Watching families in church or at the mall
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

George

Post by George » 13 Sep 2010, 19:37

Dare I mention Mormon tea? I know, it was sometimes called "Whorehouse" tea, being used against certain personal diseases. I think it has been banded by the FDA, for sports and dietary uses. I should have read the Wikipedia offering before commenting...

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 17 Sep 2010, 10:24

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephedra

:shock:
I learn something everyday (even if it is Wikipedia)

acarlton

Post by acarlton » 24 Sep 2010, 12:30

Wine is against the word of wisdom and it come from the same plant as grape juice yet grape juice is ok and good for you and wine... well... you know...

I love green tea and drink a ton of it. I buy it special and not the junk at the store. Mine is naturally caffeine free. Black Tea is the fermented form of black tea. During the time that the WoW was written, hot drinks referred to black tea. I have done a lot of study into this topic and have come to the conclusion through certain sources that the church has no official opinion on Green Tea and leaves it up to the members to decide. Green Tea good for you... Black Tea bad for you.... Grape Juice good for you... Wine.... :lol:

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 24 Sep 2010, 13:16

Reading the WoW literally wine made by Mormons is okay...