Green tea

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Rix

Re: Green tea

Post by Rix » 27 May 2010, 05:51

George wrote: If you like it black, stop by for a cup!
Oh my, I'm sure you're going straight to hell, George! :lol: :D ;)

(where do you live? I'll be right over...)
Überzeugungen sind oft die gefährlichsten Feinde der Wahrheit.
[Certainty (that one is correct) is often the most dangerous enemy of the
truth.] - Friedrich Nietzsche

God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that. -- Joseph Campbell

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 27 May 2010, 08:19

That's the first step on the slippery slope George, a fall instantly to the world of becoming a crack ho. You'll be selling yourself on the street corner for Lipton Tea in no time. :lol:
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 27 May 2010, 08:31

Tea can lead to much worse than that (you might recognise the voice of the narrator) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijFDkpNma-k
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 27 May 2010, 11:55

SamBee wrote:Tea can lead to much worse than that (you might recognise the voice of the narrator) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijFDkpNma-k
ROFL :lol: :lol: :lol:

I <3 Monty Python
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

George

Post by George » 27 May 2010, 13:57

Brian Johnston:

" You'll be selling yourself on the street corner for Lipton Tea in no time."

In which case death is imminent, via starvation. All is not lost though, I could survive for a short while as a pimp. I have access to a handsome basset hound, which I could promote for stud (they are French you know). Who would have though that simple tea would bring me down to the black hole of Calcutta? I am so ashamed. By the way, I love the Beatles, being from the same generation as it were... OK, so I'm a little bit older, gee wizard, can't I dream Chester?

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 11 Jun 2010, 13:13

Brian, our "resident tea expert" ...

Would you agree with this article I saw online today?

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/green/nine ... y-1609132/
Nine reasons to drink green tea daily
1. Green tea is a superb fat fighter.
2. It targets belly fat.
3. Green tea keeps energy stable by balancing blood sugar levels.
4. Research shows it may be helpful against lung cancer.
5. Green tea may halt colorectal cancer.
6. In research, it appears to cause prostate cancer cells to commit suicide.
7. Green tea may prevent skin damage and wrinkling.
8. It contains a potent antioxidant that kills free radicals.
9. Green tea tastes good.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 11 Jun 2010, 15:16

I spent many years being highly interested in alternative health. My father-in-law was a homeopathic physician (MD, later trained in psychiatry, and then trained as a homeopath). I used to make my own herbal medicines from scratch, and we stopped vaccinating about 15 years ago. I also developed my own goofy set of stretching exercises that help me with chronic back pain from an injury while serving in the Army. I call it "Brian's magical backache yoga." They are a replacement for chiropractic adjustments because I am usually too cheap to pay for all the visits I really need :lol:

So ... qualifying my opinion with all that, I sort of burned out on all the research articles published all the time. I got kind of cynical about it, seeing most as marketing ads disguised as science.

I like green tea. I gave up a horrible mountain dew habit (which was WoW approved, hehe) that was destroying my health. It literally made me feel sick all the time. I changed to tea and other beverages.

Green tea has been consumed literally by billions of humans over more than a two thousand years. If it was bad for your health, we'd know by now :-) If it was a miracle cure for anything ... we would know that too.

Yes. I think green tea is healthy to drink, especially if you end up not drinking soda or other unhealthy drinks. It is most healthy if you just drink it as-is. Adding (refined) sugar and cream is pretty much going to ruin any healthy aspect of the beverage.

[My comments]
Nine reasons to drink green tea daily
1. Green tea is a superb fat fighter.
[I doubt it. But agree totally if you drink green tea instead of a latte or other cream-filled drink]

2. It targets belly fat.
[Maybe? Never did much for my belly. I don't think it helped the Buddha :-)]

3. Green tea keeps energy stable by balancing blood sugar levels.
[Doubt it. Yes, if you drink it without sugar, and are drinking it in place of the sugar roller coaster known as soda, including diet sodas]

4. Research shows it may be helpful against lung cancer.
[Maybe? I bet it doesn't hurt. A lot of these studies claim benefits based on barely noticeable but "statistically significant" variations from the control group]

5. Green tea may halt colorectal cancer.
[Doubt it. I bet it doesn't hurt. With all the 100's of millions of Chinese drinking green tea every day, you would think this would be obvious. There had to be research to figure this out?]

6. In research, it appears to cause prostate cancer cells to commit suicide.
[Cool! Maybe ... see my comments about the billions of people who drink green tea. None of them had prostate cancer? Sounds a little too good to be true.]

7. Green tea may prevent skin damage and wrinkling.
[I've seen a lot of wrinkly old people who drank green tea their whole life]

8. It contains a potent antioxidant that kills free radicals.
[Might be true. Who knows?]

9. Green tea tastes good.
[Absolutely agree! If brewed correctly with whole leaves and the right temperature of water, it is delicious. It also teaches your palate to appreciate subtle flavors and not depend on a massive dose of sugar. If not brewed good (too hot, too long), it tastes bitter like dish soap to me.]

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 14 Jun 2010, 01:45

Disagree with no 9. i like the taste of it myself (although I haven't drunk it since coming back), but green tea is an acquired taste. Not everyone likes it.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 16 Jun 2010, 09:31

SamBee wrote:Disagree with no 9. i like the taste of it myself (although I haven't drunk it since coming back), but green tea is an acquired taste. Not everyone likes it.
Do not blaspheme the sacred leaf! :shock: Everyone must learn to like green tea, or they can never enter the food court section of the Celestial Kingdom. They will be shut out forever and closed off from the beverage vendors! Thus speaketh Zarathustra.

cwald

Post by cwald » 16 Jun 2010, 10:13

Brian Johnston wrote:
SamBee wrote:Disagree with no 9. i like the taste of it myself (although I haven't drunk it since coming back), but green tea is an acquired taste. Not everyone likes it.
Do not blaspheme the sacred leaf! :shock:
Yeah d@mnit! Sambee said the same thing about barley and hops too! Repent brother, repent!
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby