Green tea

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
HiJolly

Re: Green tea

Post by HiJolly » 04 May 2010, 10:43

cwald wrote:
SamBee wrote:And the bit about tobacco and cattle? That's for real. It really does work on some sick cattle, so I'm told.
My dad used it to "worm" calves. He also used it to "worm" children. I don't recommend it. But it does work - especially if the cat is using the sand pit for a litter box. Tobacco does take care of worms, I know this from experience. :cry:
It also takes care of other parasites, like Scabies.

You have to be careful not to expose yourself to too much, though. Topically, it can produce a physical stupor that is very disabling.

HiJolly
Men are not moved by events but by their interpretations.
-- The Stoic Epictetus

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 04 May 2010, 11:01

HiJolly wrote:You have to be careful not to expose yourself to too much, though. Topically, it can produce a physical stupor that is very disabling.
Wow, that sounds like a word of wisdom, HiJolly. In many ways, I wish the whole Word of Wisdom was just left at that..."Be careful not to expose yourself to too much, amen."
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Rix

Post by Rix » 04 May 2010, 11:55

Heber13 wrote:
HiJolly wrote:You have to be careful not to expose yourself to too much, though. Topically, it can produce a physical stupor that is very disabling.
Wow, that sounds like a word of wisdom, HiJolly. In many ways, I wish the whole Word of Wisdom was just left at that..."Be careful not to expose yourself to too much, amen."
Amen.
Überzeugungen sind oft die gefährlichsten Feinde der Wahrheit.
[Certainty (that one is correct) is often the most dangerous enemy of the
truth.] - Friedrich Nietzsche

God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that. -- Joseph Campbell

Featherina

Post by Featherina » 04 May 2010, 14:35

SamBee wrote:Now I've gone through some of the WoW stuff before, particularly as it specifies "hot drinks", which could cover a lot of things, and omit others (ice tea anyone?) ...
:lol: I used to love iced tea - I thought it was more healthy than sugary sodas used to clean up accidents. But I have wondered about the whole idea of "hot drinks" - because JS also advised against smoking - before they knew it caused cancer. On the other hand, coffee & tea (esp. green) has been recommended by Doctors (in moderation). And it's not an issue of temperature, because hot drinks are healthy in taking asprine or just when you've got a cold. On the other hand (or foot :) ) if I have too much caffeine, I'm a nutcase!

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 04 May 2010, 14:41

Featherina wrote:
SamBee wrote:Now I've gone through some of the WoW stuff before, particularly as it specifies "hot drinks", which could cover a lot of things, and omit others (ice tea anyone?) ...
:lol: I used to love iced tea - I thought it was more healthy than sugary sodas used to clean up accidents. But I have wondered about the whole idea of "hot drinks" - because JS also advised against smoking - before they knew it caused cancer. On the other hand, coffee & tea (esp. green) has been recommended by Doctors (in moderation). And it's not an issue of temperature, because hot drinks are healthy in taking asprine or just when you've got a cold. On the other hand (or foot :) ) if I have too much caffeine, I'm a nutcase!
I suspect ice tea actually IS more healthy than certain sodas (which are jammed full of sugar, artificial colors/preservatives and heaven knows what else and what it shall do to you!)

Coffee and tea are great against the flu. They do have other problems though, especially for epileptics and people with heart trouble. Heart attacks can be triggered by too much coffee. It gives me heart palpitations and all.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 04 May 2010, 17:29

I forgot to add in earlier that I think a current-orthodox practice of the Word of Wisdom CAN be a valuable religious practice that people choose post-crisis. There is really nothing wrong with it. Self-denial and religious dietary codes, when practiced consciously and with purpose, whether "rational" or "scientific" or not, can be a powerful symbolic experience. I fully support others who reconcile with the LDS faith and still keep the WofW the way most members expect.

To be honest, that really is the most practical and drama-free route. Nothing wrong with that either. Nothing at all.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 May 2010, 18:09

It really is important to realize that what Brian just said is "true" and valid. I simply don't give a big rodent's hairy hindquarters about breaking the WofW. It's just not important at all to me.

I understand every argument to do so, but I really just don't care - and I understand the absolute need for some to follow it strictly. Therefore, I accept the status quo and don't push the boundaries.

Again, that's me - and I don't expect or require others to see it that way. However, it is important, imo, for all who struggle with some things to lessen the number of things with which they struggle - and letting go of this particular "issue" seems like a good place to start, especially if you really are one of the strong ones who isn't tempted dangerously by what you have to give up to accept it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Euhemerus

Post by Euhemerus » 06 May 2010, 19:27

Man, Brian, I thought I had Tea 101 for Mormons down. You've got more of it figured out than me. I gave a very academic lesson on it one time in Gospel Principles.

Anyway, I agree strongly with what Ray and Brian and Heber and pretty much the rest of you have said.
Don't believe everything you think
- bumper sticker I saw one day

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 07 May 2010, 03:14

You might be interested to know that before I started coming back to the church, I had a particular health problem and my doctor recommended me to drink less tea and coffee. Make your own conclusions....
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

George

Post by George » 27 May 2010, 05:06

Confession time. After a half-century of living the word of wisdom to the max; no coffee, no tea, no smoking, no drinking, no drugs... I have in my old age, taken up tea. I love it! A sweet tea on a hot day, a hot tea on a cold night, it is one of those special little "pleasures" of life. I had recently (after Proposition 8), given up temple Mormonism and tithing. As I set around my mountaintop adobe, I felt the need to really sin. Since no self respecting female would even glance in my direction anymore, my idea of sin was rather restricted. With tea I found a breakthrough. I can officially no longer pass a temple recommend interview! Since I know longer attend temple, I guess it doesn't matter much though. Will I branch into further sin, greater sin? No. I don't think I would like coffee and after three score & ten, why would I want to take up drinking, or smoking, or drugs... So tea it is, my albatross (not sure that is the term I'm thinking of, but what the hay). If you like it black, stop by for a cup!