New Reading Material Or Podcasts

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Ilovechrist77

New Reading Material Or Podcasts

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 21 Jun 2020, 21:26

I have a question: What would be some good books or podcasts about spirituality other than standard works of the church? I don't mind studying them. Since I've been practicing meditation for some time now, I've been getting alot out of the standard works, but I need some more variety. Does anybody here know of good books or podcast on spirituality I could add to my studies? I've watched a couple videos from YouTube from the Self-Realization Fellowship channel, which I find really uplifting. I've tried to study some scriptures at the beginning of the Gnostic Bible, but some of the scriptures are a bit confusing. Any suggestions?

Heber13
Site Admin

Re: New Reading Material Or Podcasts

Post by Heber13 » 24 Jun 2020, 08:42

I suggest the audiobook "The Courage of Being Disliked" by Fumitake Koga and Ichiro Kishimi.

I liked that a lot. A blend of Adlerian psychology with self-reflection on goals and actions towards self-help. It was meaningful to me, and many things I bring into my meditations and prayers.

Give it a listen, or read the book. You won't be disappointed.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 24 Jun 2020, 10:59

I suggest the audiobook "The Courage of Being Disliked" by Fumitake Koga and Ichiro Kishimi.
Thanks, Heber13, I'll have to check that out.

Jabraso

Post by Jabraso » 24 Jun 2020, 12:23

The Rational Bible by Denis Prager. It's a commentary on the first books in the Bible (the Torah) from a Jewish perspective but written to people of all faiths and secular people. Only Genesis and Exodus are currently published right now. The Jews have been studying the Old Testament in it's original Hebrew longer than anyone and have a lot that we can learn from.

Prager does a good job of putting the people and teachings into their proper perspective. It's a good reminder to judge people in their own time/situation and not by our own.

Genesis in particular really helped humanize the Patriarchs for me. All off the families in Genesis were comprised of regular imperfect people living in dysfunctional families and God still worked with them.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 24 Jun 2020, 14:51

Jabraso wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 12:23
The Rational Bible by Denis Prager. It's a commentary on the first books in the Bible (the Torah) from a Jewish perspective but written to people of all faiths and secular people. Only Genesis and Exodus are currently published right now. The Jews have been studying the Old Testament in it's original Hebrew longer than anyone and have a lot that we can learn from.

Prager does a good job of putting the people and teachings into their proper perspective. It's a good reminder to judge people in their own time/situation and not by our own.

Genesis in particular really helped humanize the Patriarchs for me. All off the families in Genesis were comprised of regular imperfect people living in dysfunctional families and God still worked with them.
I'm going to be adding this one to my list!
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 24 Jun 2020, 21:06

The Rational Bible does sound interesting too. I think I'll check that too. Thanks!

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 27 Jun 2020, 14:58

Anything by Chieko Okazaki. (especially "Lighten Up!")

She was one of my favorite general authorities, and her writings are wonderfully focused on spirituality.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 30 Jun 2020, 00:56

Chieko Okazaki. I've heard of her but I've never read anything or remember hearing anything from her before. I'll have to give her a shot. Thanks.

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 05 Jul 2020, 04:17

As far as podcasts go, I've been listening to Richard Rohr's Another Name for Everything. He's a Catholic priest who has developed a form of orthodoxy based on the work of St. Francis of Assisi (I think that's what it springs from). The podcasts that I've listened to are a conversation between Fr. Rohr and two former(?) evangelical church members who work with him. The conversations are low key, pleasant and often quite profound.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---