Questions for Hofmann

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
gospeltangents

Re: Questions for Hofmann

Post by gospeltangents » 13 Jul 2017, 22:13

Shannon said no to sociopath, psychopath, he was loving with his family. No mental issues, but he did test into the Mensa scale.
See my latest interviews on Mormon History, Science & Theology at www.gospeltangents.com

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 14 Jul 2017, 07:09

So, FWIW, I wouldn't believe anything that Mark Hofmann would have to say about his motivation, his life now, his morals, religion, faith crisis, family, or anything else. He is a murderer who took the lives of two innocent people for nothing more than to take attention off of his already-felony schemes. Those are facts he has admitted to. I try not to be black & white about much, but that's a line that I cannot straddle. The murders far outweigh any other aspect of his crimes and the murders were about self preservation; nothing to do with the Church.

My heart goes out to the families of Steven Christensen and Kathy Sheets.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow » 14 Jul 2017, 08:18

I tend to agree with OON's take on this. I wouldn't want to ask Hoffman anything, simply because I wouldn't want to give him the impression that I cared enough to ask. I wouldn't want to give him the satisfaction of thinking that anybody outside of his four walls is still interested in him.
My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6139

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 14 Jul 2017, 12:08

Even though I am interested in the response to my question from a clinical standpoint, I actually do agree with OON from a personal perspective.

The fact that he is a habitual liar also wouldn't give me a lot of confidence in his answer to my question, even if I was sitting with him doing the questioning.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 18 Jul 2017, 19:05

Most of these questions have been answered in books and interviews of people who were close to him. He was supposed to tell all after he was sentenced and in prison, but those interviews fell apart after a while. OON has the right idea and my understanding is he wouldn't take visitors or talk to anyone anyway.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 24 Jul 2017, 17:00

Heber13 wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 09:52
I'm interested what his perception is of Mormon leaders and if they were confident they were following the spirit when dealing with him...or if any of those discussions came up.
I would be interested in that too.

I'd be inclined to read and research all past interviews that have been held with him to find out what his thinking is, and then to ask him to expand on parts. Or ask entirely new questions.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576