Of Uchtdorf and Hobbits

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
mom3

Of Uchtdorf and Hobbits

Post by mom3 » 07 Oct 2019, 12:29

Okay - we can work through details all we want, but lets give a big hand to The Silver Fox, for outdoing himself and canonizing The Hobbit.

This may go down as the best talk in General Conference Ever. Ever.

No one better to deliver it.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Re: Of Uchtdorf and Hobbits

Post by DarkJedi » 07 Oct 2019, 14:55

I did like it. I just re-read The Hobbit this summer. And, he again echoed "Come, Join With Us" which has special significance for me.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Oct 2019, 16:34

It definitely was one of my favorites.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Post by mom3 » 07 Oct 2019, 20:54

I spend hours dreaming of the day he's in the top chair. The happiness he brings - ah, hmmm. Okay. Back to life.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Daughter1

Post by Daughter1 » 08 Oct 2019, 18:18

I've told people for years that I have two "quad combinations." The LDS scriptures and my Lotr/Hobbit box set. Elder Uchtdorf just confirmed that this is perfectly acceptable. :D
I don't think there could ever be just one single philosophy or one single religion. Since there are so many different types of people, with a range of tendencies and inclinations, it is quite fitting that there are differences between religions. And the fact that there are so many different descriptions of the religious path shows how rich religion is. - HH the XIV Dalai Lama

Heavy_Laden

Post by Heavy_Laden » 10 Oct 2019, 06:04

I enjoyed this talk and wish that we could hear more from Uchtdorf. I am not a big fan of the Hobbit series but I would love to hear him draw comparisons on the Star Wars Universe and the Gospel. Maybe I should send him some DVDs and some expanded universe stuff to get him started?

By the way, I'll be posting a mega blog entry on Star Wars and the church sometime in the future. :D
I'm an Independent Mormon and it's okay. - Staylds.org

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 10 Oct 2019, 06:49

Well CS Lewis gets quoted a lot, so Tolkien should be up there too, because a lot of his symbolism is Christian (albeit somewhat RC). Charles Williams and George MacDonald are somewhat overlooked too.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 10 Oct 2019, 11:15

Heavy_Laden wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 06:04
I enjoyed this talk and wish that we could hear more from Uchtdorf. I am not a big fan of the Hobbit series but I would love to hear him draw comparisons on the Star Wars Universe and the Gospel. Maybe I should send him some DVDs and some expanded universe stuff to get him started?

By the way, I'll be posting a mega blog entry on Star Wars and the church sometime in the future. :D
While he didn't make the direct connection to Star Wars, the language in this quote is very close to Obi Wan:
The “truths” we cling to shape the quality of our societies as well as our individual characters. All too often these “truths” are based on incomplete and inaccurate evidence, and at times they serve very selfish motives.
(BYU Devotional Jan. 13, 2013, great talk)
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

brit-exmo

Post by brit-exmo » 18 Oct 2019, 06:57

Not the first to link Tolkien and LDS

https://www.academia.edu/10177115/A_Lat ... of_Tolkien

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 18 Oct 2019, 23:41

:clap:

Love it!!
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."