Feeling the pull..

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
nibbler

Re: Feeling the pull..

Post by nibbler » 13 Aug 2019, 17:54

Heavy_Laden wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 14:02
If I am not a member of their Ward, wouldn't I be excluded from a calling? ...
Yes, there is that. If you don't want a calling then don't press to get your records transferred to the ward you're attending.

I'll add my anecdotal stories.

I was once in a ward and later moved to a few blocks just outside the boundaries. We made a case and we were allowed to remain in the ward even though technically we should have been assigned to the other ward. In that instance the BP said the SP okayed it and in our case it was a simple matter of not transferring records out.

I know of another family that attended a ward in a different city because they just didn't mesh with their assigned ward. They attended the other ward for decades.

I do see the policy of requiring membership records to be kept in the ward where the member lives. If you want to be in a different ward you'd have to get the consent of the BPs and the SPs of the place of origin and destination and approval of the Office of the First Presidency.

I have no way of knowing, but I wonder whether the SP sent a letter to the Office of the First Presidency when I lived a few blocks outside my geographical ward. Since it was in the same stake it may have stopped at the stake level. Membership records are regularly audited.

I get the feeling that saying "that action requires approval from the First Presidency" is more of a deterrent to keep the number of requests down. It communicates that the request should make people (and leaders) think twice about allowing exceptions to the established rules. I've got to think that with something simple like moving records to a different ward that by the time the BPs and SPs sign off the Office of the First Presidency is little more than a rubber stamp.
If one dream dies, dream another dream. If you get knocked down, get back up and go again.
― Joel Osteen

DarkJedi

Re: Feeling the pull..

Post by DarkJedi » 14 Aug 2019, 09:24

nibbler wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 17:54
Heavy_Laden wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 14:02
If I am not a member of their Ward, wouldn't I be excluded from a calling? ...
Yes, there is that. If you don't want a calling then don't press to get your records transferred to the ward you're attending.
There is that out as well. It really does depend on what you want. I have several anecdotal stories as well but I'll spare you those ones because that point has been made and I agree the FP thing is likely a response to try to keep the masses from requesting it. I will tell this story, though. We have a "member of our ward" who does own a house here (it's rented to a member family currently) and did actually live at that house for many years while his family was growing up. He travels extensively all over the country for work, but he did that when his kids were young as well. Most of his children have settled in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint Corridor, and a few years back his wife relocated there as well (she works for a large international hotel corporation headquartered in SLC). His membership record, however, remains here. He does visit on occasion, maybe 3 or 4 times a year and usually in conjunction with his business travel. It took me quite a while to figure out why he leaves his record here when he actually does spend the majority of his home time in SLC. Then it dawned on me - he's got it great. He doesn't have a calling because he's never here, yet he can still have a TR because he is a member of our ward and presumably can answer the questions appropriately (I do know he does go to the temple sometimes). The fact that he's never here doesn't mean he doesn't attend church, and knowing him well enough I'm pretty sure he does attend church almost weekly, wherever he is. He's way more sly than I thought he was.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction