Being Gay at BYU: Times, They Are a Changing

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
dande48

Re: Being Gay at BYU: Times, They Are a Changing

Post by dande48 » 28 Apr 2019, 20:58

I was at BYU, back in 2007, when First Counsellor Monson lifted the ban on homosexual (non-practicing) students. It's pretty crazy to think before then, you could get kicked out of BYU for so much as confessing to your Bishop you were attracted to your same gender. I also remember back in 2011, when they lifted the ban of homosexual advocacy. It's incredible how "quickly" things have changed.

It still seems like a very polarizing issue at the BYU campus, but I don't think that's the fault of BYU itself, but rather old over-the-pulpit teachings from Church leaders. It feels more accepting (again, the university, not all students/faculty), though I wonder if it's largely due to publicity and social pressure, more than a "change of heart". Can an organization really have a change of heart?
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

mom3

Post by mom3 » 28 Apr 2019, 21:27

Can an organization really have a change of heart?
Haven't we proven again and again, on good and bad that our organization can change? On a dime, too.

This one is going to be a long haul, but it is already happening. Plenty of Bishops and Stake Presidents are totally supportive of our LGBTQ brothers and sisters. That number keeps growing. Magazines like LDS Living and Meridian post blogs and articles about family members who have changed their hearts and come to love their openly LGBTQ family members and spouses.

We have a two GA's who have openly gay family members. And likely, more who have friends with family members who are gay. Elder Holland green lighted our acceptance of members with same sex attraction.

So yes an organization is and can change.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Roy

Post by Roy » 29 Apr 2019, 14:44

Amazing and wonderful. I know that people can change fairly quickly on this issue as they become acquainted with the struggles and pain of SSA members. It is all hypothetical until you know somebody.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Roy

Post by Roy » 01 May 2019, 09:20

According to the BBC, this speech was preapproved by university administration. That just goes to show that this was not some sort of "steal the mic" moment where the speaker goes rogue and the administration scrambles to cut the feed.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13