Elder Waddell on Ministering

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Kipper

Elder Waddell on Ministering

Post by Kipper » 06 Apr 2019, 11:41

Elder Wadell's talk in GC seemed like a perfect example of ministering to the inactive as I saw it. I don't doubt the sincerity of his brother's questions during his final days and I realized how important it was for Mike spiritually and for the family that there was a Ministering Brother there who knew him and was able to be there and give him the attention and answers he needed and to facilitate his wishes to be ordained. When Elder Waddell said Mike went through the veil as a Melchizedek Priesthood holder and greeted his parents it really tugged at my heart and gave me a visual impression of that greeting. Elder Waddell's father was my Bishop years ago and he and his wonderful wife brought me back into activity after 25 years of feeling alone and on the edge. They made me feel good about me and made all of us in the ward truly feel like a family. DW and I were married by Bishop Waddell. Bishop and Sister Waddell talked about their boys often and said I would like Mike. I just felt compelled to express what a personal experience can do to really make a solid impression.

mom3

Re: Elder Waddell on Ministering

Post by mom3 » 06 Apr 2019, 12:04

Kipper thanks. Very cool.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 06 Apr 2019, 12:21

Thanks for sharing that Kipper.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Apr 2019, 13:41

Thank you, Kipper.

That is a vital addition to the conversations we have here.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 07 Apr 2019, 09:40

Thank you for that Kipper.

DW had an experience with then Elder Nelson at an area conference in which he got emotional talking about his family. He called up one of his grandchildren to the stand and said tearfully that everything that we do in the church and the gospel is about family. Since then my wife remembers back to that moment and theorizes that whatever RMN does is about strengthening families.

I have to believe that all of the Q15 (and, by extension, other church leaders) are good people, family men, and pillars of their communities. Lots of good hearts and genuine faith that they are doing the right thing.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13