General Conference Thread

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
mom3

Re: General Conference Thread

Post by mom3 » 07 Apr 2019, 13:42

This is more my speed.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2019, 13:49

Elder Gong - The Good Shepherd is also the Lamb of God. Who better to be our Good Shepherd than the Lamb of God?

I love this talk. The fact that he has an openly gay son whom he loves and supports makes this talk more meaningful to me.

I love the story of paying for the food the young man stole.

"He carries us next to his heart."
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Daughter1

Post by Daughter1 » 07 Apr 2019, 13:57

I have loved Elder Gong since he was called. This talk was special because he quoted "Dear to the Heart of the Shepherd" which is a song my grandma loved.
I don't think there could ever be just one single philosophy or one single religion. Since there are so many different types of people, with a range of tendencies and inclinations, it is quite fitting that there are differences between religions. And the fact that there are so many different descriptions of the religious path shows how rich religion is. - HH the XIV Dalai Lama

mom3

Post by mom3 » 07 Apr 2019, 13:58

Thanks Curt for taking today's sessions.

See ya all in 6 months.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2019, 14:01

Elder Bednar - Church programs are becoming more home-centered and church-supported. Primary things happen in the home; supplemental things happen at church.

Learn and live the Lord's teachings. We should not expect the Church to tell us all we need to do. That is a personal responsibility.

We need to learn for ourselves. We cannot expect merely to attend church and participate in programs and (have that be enough). The responsibility to develop spiritual strength rests on each of us.

If all we have is what others teach or tell us (even those we love and trust), it will not be enough.

Many members are uncertain what they can say about the temple outside of the temple. Pres. Benson said a proper temple background and understanding will help us. 1) We always should speak about the temple with reverence. Only the symbols and specific info we covenNt not to disclose should not be revealed explicitly. 2) We may discuss the purposes and doctrines of the temple ordinances.

This is HUGE. He is demystifying the temple in a concrete way. He is saying explicitly that we can talk about the temple in FAR greater detail than so many members have assumed.

This is important for everyone here. He just said our path is our own.

This probably is my favorite talk from Elder Bednar.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Daughter1

Post by Daughter1 » 07 Apr 2019, 14:12

Elder Bednar is doing a really good job of not treating discussion of the temple with fear and secrecy. I really love this.
I don't think there could ever be just one single philosophy or one single religion. Since there are so many different types of people, with a range of tendencies and inclinations, it is quite fitting that there are differences between religions. And the fact that there are so many different descriptions of the religious path shows how rich religion is. - HH the XIV Dalai Lama

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2019, 14:18

"Dad, I have learned that when you say you will do something soon, it often is a long time to me."

This is an ingenious way by Elder McKay to address the issue of prophetic language that seems to imply things happening soon. He then turned to blessings that come immediately and those that come slowly.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2019, 14:24

The grandkids just arrived. See y'all later.

DarkJedi

IRe: General Conference Thread

Post by DarkJedi » 07 Apr 2019, 14:35

I liked Bednar (something I usually don't say) because he just spelled it all out for those who aren't getting it.

I also like Rasband for his thoughts on faith. (Despite the war references)
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Daughter1

Post by Daughter1 » 07 Apr 2019, 14:56

I'm very glad President Nelson told people not to shout about the temple announcements. As exciting as it is, I feel bad for the people who are excited about a temple that doesn't get a shout. And it's just not the right time or place.

That said, I think Budapest, Hungary is super exciting.