General Conference Thread

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
mom3

Re: General Conference Thread

Post by mom3 » 07 Apr 2019, 10:04

This is so up my alley.

Literally. Our Stake does this. Sweet deal.

ETA: I am using quotes from this tons.

It's kind of a melded talk. End of Days, etc.

I love all the biblical references.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 07 Apr 2019, 10:10

We don't hear many talks about the second coming lately, but it is Christ centered, just like every other talk so far. Loving it.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Daughter1

Post by Daughter1 » 07 Apr 2019, 10:16

I'm loving this metaphor with gravity and justice.
I don't think there could ever be just one single philosophy or one single religion. Since there are so many different types of people, with a range of tendencies and inclinations, it is quite fitting that there are differences between religions. And the fact that there are so many different descriptions of the religious path shows how rich religion is. - HH the XIV Dalai Lama

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2019, 10:19

Elder Callister is talking about the Atonement. What is its purpose? To return to him, to become more like him, and to receive a fullness of joy.

I like the analogy of the parachute. I have heard a lot of analogies regarding the Atonement, but I think I like this one is the best so far.

People can mistakenly make the Atonement finite, but it isn't. You can't seek farther than the Atonement can reach. He descended below wherever you can fall.

We can remember our sins but not feel the previous guilt for them. (**We don't have to forget our sins (or the sins of others) to let go of the pain they cause.**)

Saving ordinances are not a check list. They are meant to empower (even if that is symbolic - my words).

The gifts of the Spirit also are empowering, since they are meant to empower us and eradicate our weaknesss.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2019, 10:25

A personal observation:

When we focus on Jesus, in one way or another, we tend to do it well. When we don't, things get dicey or even off kilter.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Post by mom3 » 07 Apr 2019, 10:26

Tad and I don't usually find much common ground. But there is some here.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2019, 10:37

Pres. Nelson is the concluding speaker.

"We miss our daughter, but we do not worry about her." (I think that kind of assurance is one of the best aspects of our theology.)

The image of a police officer helping others while not knowing where his family was is powerful.

I love the focus on Jesus throughout this session.

I don't like quoting from D&C 132, pretty much ever, but at least the concept of vicarious ordinances in the temple makes the part he quoted inclusive. I appreciate his sincerity, and I understand his view based on his position, but I wish he had made it crystal clear that our temple theology includes the grace that extends the greatest blessings to everyone. "Conscious decisions" are still sincere decisions, and I beleive sincerity will be rewarded.

I appreciate, also, the obvious love he feels, even though I disagree with some of his conclusions.

Daughter1

Post by Daughter1 » 07 Apr 2019, 11:01

Curt Sunshine wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 10:37
I appreciate, also, the obvious love he feels, even though I disagree with some of his conclusions.
I feel great love for President Nelson. I know he can often run quickly and be a bit tone deaf, but I think you've hit the nail on the head as to why I love him and don't feel anxiety when he speaks (as opposed to others, like Oaks). He really loves God, the church, and each of the members. Today I felt reminded that our leaders really do believe. Sometimes, when I am feeling cynical, I forget that they lead this church in faith. That they are men and women who have lived their lives trying to come close to God, and that the advice and council they give is sincere and from a place of love. President Nelson especially helps me feel this.

One little detail I liked, he will address the sisters first as often as he addresses the men first. I've heard others try this and it always sounds forced, like they are trying really hard to make women feel equal. I appreciate the effort, but I feel awkward. President Nelson makes it feel natural, loving, and pure. In the preface to the updated temple video, the changes were made "for the benefit of the daughters and sons of God" and I was just thrilled to know that we were thought of first. I thought then, and am more certain now, that President Nelson selected that phrasing. The love I feel is so special and soothing.

This session helped me feel peace and love. These are the things I love about the LDS church.
I don't think there could ever be just one single philosophy or one single religion. Since there are so many different types of people, with a range of tendencies and inclinations, it is quite fitting that there are differences between religions. And the fact that there are so many different descriptions of the religious path shows how rich religion is. - HH the XIV Dalai Lama

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2019, 13:29

This actually is good, sound talk about reprentance by Elder Oaks. My biggest objection simply is that he included, explicitly, people who have been excommunicated and those who have had their names removed.

I think he truly means to deliver this talk to everyone, but specifying particular groups will make too many people assume he is addressing those groups alone or more than those not mentioned explicitly. He didn't say that, but it will be assumed.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2019, 13:38

Elder Villar is speaking about faith, using muscles as an example.

Opportunities to develop gifts rather than simply being given those gifts.

This is a good, simple talk about faith.