Dealing with your own hypocrisy

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
On Own Now

Re: Dealing with your own hypocrisy

Post by On Own Now » 02 Apr 2019, 07:23

I think it's too strong to use the term hypocrisy in association to occasional failure to live up to our own ideals. I would use that term more for intentional deceit associated with willful disregard for what we say. Made up example: let's say that I'm an alcoholic and I'm trying very hard to beat it, because I know it's destructive. I attend AA meetings and I encourage others not to drink. I try not to, but sometimes, I just can't help it, and I have a little drink and sometimes, I might even binge... I don't think in that case I'm a hypocrite... I'm just not as strong as I would like and I'm trying to build my strength. If on the other hand, I'm at the AA meetings, leading discussions, decrying alcohol's effects and telling people with tough love that they need to stop now, but every day, I go home and sit in front of the TV with a bottle of vodka then, yeah, I'm a hypocrite.

One of the great teachings of Christianity is that there is an impossible ideal (to be complete, just like God), and that as we strive for that impossibility, we can become better people, even in full knowledge that we aren't really ever going to reach that unattainable vision of ourselves. The trying is what makes us aware of the gap and gives us the desire to close it as much as we can. As long as we are actively trying, if we occasionally fall short, it's not hypocrisy.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 02 Apr 2019, 08:58

In the recovering community, relapse, for some, is common. When & if it happens there is a stigma usually attached. I believe
Alcoholism & addiction, is a disease. It is the same for someone being treated for cancer & in time, the cancer returns.
Do we make the patient feel guilty (or responsible) for its return?

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 02 Apr 2019, 15:02

I have friends who are in recovery of some kind, and we sometimes discuss these issues. I don't really see relapse as hypocrisy as long as it's something that the addict tries to deal with and helps others to avoid.

As I say, I believe we're all hypocritical to some degree. It depends what thaf hypocrisy is, how serious and how we try and fix it.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."